chapter 18: The surface

Eighteen months have passed. Monsters scared humans at first but that's in the past. Frisk had been named monster ambassador but you often took their place when they had school. You and Papyrus had moved into your old home. It was hard at first being in the same place your mother had died. She had already been found and buried long before you'd gotten back. Your neighbors had seen you come home and the cops asked you what had happened. You explained what happened to them and the one who'd killed her was arrested. You'd also learned about monsters going into heat. That was embarrassing at first. You luckily only got it once a year but it lasted two weeks. Papyrus had four a year each lasting a week. The two of you hadn't mated yet though. Toriel adopted you and had calmed down after getting back together with Asgore. She'd forbidden anything like that until the two of you from mating until you were at least engaged. 
Today was the last day of the trial for your mother's killer. His verdict was going to be read today. You looked to Papyrus as he drives you to the courthouse. You were scared that he would get away with it.
"EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY." Papyrus says without even looking at you. He knows you too well. You were anxious about all of this. You know that if he was to be set free he'd come after you. 
"What if they don't find him guilty?"
"THEN WE'LL PROTECT YOU MY PRINCESS. I KNOW YOU STILL DON'T WANT TO FIGHT. I DON'T BLAME YOU AFTER ALL THE MEMORIES…" You shiver. You'd told him in vivid detail all the memories from the other souls. You never want to fight again. After today your heat is supposed to start. You were on edge but you still had this to do then training with Undyne. Just because you don't want to fight doesn't mean you should neglect your training, you may need to protect yourself at some point. Undyne never went easy on you, always pushing you to get better. You had a newfound respect for her and vice versa. He parked the car and you both walk out and you straighten your skirt and dress shirt. 
Papyrus takes your hand and gives you a smile. You smile back and walk with him to the courtroom. After a while that asshole walked in and sits on the left side of the judges alter. The prosecutor sits on the right, exactly in front of you. Everyone stands as the judge enters and after he sits you do too.
"Now starts the verdict hearing of Matthew Wallace in the charge of murder in the first degree. Would the spokes person for the jury please rise and deliver your verdict."
A young lady in her late twenties stands. She has long brown hair and bright blue eyes. First she looks at me clinging to Papyrus out of fear of what might happen. Next she looks at that asshole who's sitting there with a smug smile on his face. Finally she looks at the judge. "Your honor. This verdict took a long time to come to. We were not sure what to declare with all the evidence. But in the end we almost completely agreed on the verdict. We the jury find Matthew Wallace, guilty of murder in the first degree." The court room was silent for one moment before you sob and cover your mouth. You lean into Papyrus and he wraps his arms around you. 
"Thank you very much. Mr. Wallace, is there any last statement you would like to say?" 
"There is in fact." He says before standing up. "I have no regrets for what I did that day. I still believe what I did was just. There is one thing I do regret though. I regret that I ever slept with that slut." Your head snapped towards him and you do the math as he sits down. You tap the shoulder of the prosecutor. Quickly you type on your phone that you want to make a statement as well and show it to him.
"Your honor, the victim's daughter would like to make a statement as well if you'll allow it."
"Very well, she may." You stand up and walk to the desk.
"Your honor and jury, first if all I would like to thank you all for bringing my mother justice. I know that she is smiling down at each and everyone of you. Most of all I know she would want you to go easy on her killer. But I am not my mother. Each and every night I am still plagued by nightmares of when she died protecting me. She died for our heritage, something no one can help. I have similar heritage to her with another family added to it. In my twenty years of life I have never wanted anyone to hurt but…. I want this man to pay as dearly as he can for taking the only family I've ever known away from me. Please your honor, take that into consideration. He took away the life of the only person an eighteen year old had in her life. Thank you for listening to me." You bow your head to him before returning to your seat.
"Thank you miss (L/N). I will take your statement into consideration." He thinks for a moment before coming to a conclusion. "Matthew Wallace, I sentence you to life in prison with no possibilit of parole for 50 years. Now this trial is over. Court is adjourned." He whacks his gavel  and gets up. Everyone else follows suit. You thank the lawyer who'd been on your side before leaving with Papyrus. You two chat on the way to the gym. This gym was monster friendly and built for them. Papyrus drops you off and you grab your bag.
"Tonight we're going somewhere nice for supper. Undyne will take you home so get ready after you get home." He says softly. 
"Okay. Thanks Papyrus." You lean over the console to give him a quick kiss on the teeth. Before getting out. You walk in the gym and see a wolf monster named Allen at the front desk looking at his phone. "Hey Al, here for my training session." He waves you through without looking up. You walk into the girls change room and change into a green tank top and black shorts. You put on a pair of beat up tennis shoes and tie your hair up. You walk onto the gym floor after changing forms.
You greet the regulars there as you look for Undyne. Suddenly you feel scaly hands pined your arms behind your back.
"How's it going nerd?"
"Great bitch, that asshole is put away hopefully for the rest of his life." You turn your head to grin at her. After absorbing all of the souls your monster form had changed. You got nine tails instead of five, your eyes shine gold and the tips if your hair, ears and tails are silver. Your claws and fangs are sharper and more deadly along with your magic powers. 
"That's great. Now for today's training you'll be doing dodging and blocking."
"Sounds good to me." You say as she grins. You grin back at her. And she whistles. The center fighting ring clears the fighting in the others stops as everyone wants to watch the two of you. The two of you get into the ring and start to circle each other before she attacks.
"Soooooo." You start as you dodge.
"What's up?" 
"Papyrus was being weird when he dropped me off." You dodged another attack and she grins wickedly. 
"Was he now?"
"He was being too sweet. What's going on?" She lunges and you put up a magic barrier to block her. She laughs loudly.
"He'd kill me if I gave away the surprise. You seem to have some pent up emotions too."
You sigh and continue to spar with her. And eventually the two of you finish, you go to the change room to shower. "So what's on your mind?" Undyne asks as you both head there.
"Well…. I think I figured out who my father is." You say as you undress in your cubicle.
"That's pretty cool."
"No. It's not."
"Why not?" 
You turn on the water and walk under it. "Well…. the thing is….. it's that asshole…." You say just loud enough for her to hear. Undyne is silent for a long time.
"That makes him even more of a piece of shit."
You laugh bitterly before turning off the water and getting out. You dry off and get dressed into a t-shirt and some jeans. Taking out a brush you brush your hair as you wait for Undyne. "Well the bastard is in prison now. He can't hurt anyone anymore." You shift back to your human form. You continue to brush your hair and she comes out or her cubicle to sit next to you.
"You know, you're pretty tough. Most people would have completely freaked out with the stuff you've gone through." You laugh at that. 
"Remember how fucked I was for the first month and a half after absorbing the souls?" You put your brush back in your bag and get up, Undyne follows you and laughs.
"You were so fucked up! It was awesome!" You laugh at that as you both go outside and go to her car. You two chat before she drops you off at home. Frisk runs over from next door and Toriel follows. 
"Hello my child. Papyrus has requested that we help you get ready for tonight. "
"Sounds great, thanks Tori." You say as you all go inside and Toriel goes to your room. you look to Frisk and grin. "Sooooo, how are things with Sans?" They blush and you giggle before Toriel calls the two of you up to your room.  You see her holding out a dress to you and you change into it. It's a strapless blood red mermaid style dress with tiny rhinestones on it. You knew today was going to be important and if it was what you were hoping you'd be happy. For months now you've dropped hints that you wanted to get married and Papyrus wouldn't pay much mind to it. You had to be back before midnight though, that's when your heat would start. You zip up the dress with the zipper on the side and turn to face the other two. 
"How does it look?" You ask them. 
"It looks marvelous!" Toriel says as Frisk gives a thumbs up.
"I don't remember having this before."
"Papyrus bought it for you today, along with matching heels."
"He spoils me." You say and walk to your vanity and sit before it. Frisk goes in front of you and motioned for you to close your eyes. You do and they start on your makeup and Toriel starts on your hair. You chat with Toriel knowing that Frisk doesn't talk often unless it's needed. After about an hour the two of them finish. You look in the mirror and gasp. It reminded you of that day Sans dolled you up. Toriel takes a hand and starts doing your nails as Frisk does your feet. soon they're done that too and hear Papyrus come in yelling about getting ready. 
"One last thing, my child." You look at Toriel and she puts a silver circlet on your head. It's a simple one with an emerald on one side and a ruby beside it. On either side of those there was a smaller diamond. "That was made for you. Asgore made it so. The emerald and ruby signifies our two lost children and the diamonds signify us." Just then you notice a black stone right in the middle. "The black stone is for you. You're our new hope." You look at her before standing and hugging her.
"Thank you. Now let's go down there before he blows his top." You slip on the heels as the others walk out of the room. You grab your black clutch and go down the stairs. Papyrus shows Toriel and Frisk out as you walk down the stairs. He immediately turns to you and his skull blushed a bright red. You must look like a princess to him. You technically were. You hear Toriel and Frisk go home after snickering slightly. You get to the bottom of the stares and he still hasn't said anything. 
"Papyrus, are you okay?" He's wearing a dress shirt to match your dress. He's also wearing black dress pants and a black tie. Clearing his throat he nods. 
"Let's go, we're going somewhere special today." You link arms with him and go to the car. He drives to the restaurant. Its really fancy, the dining room is like a castle courtyard. There was a glass roof and walls. You two are seated and Papyrus orders you each a glass of wine. Drinking age is 19 where you live so you were fine.
You two order and chat waiting for your food. Once it comes the two of you eat and continue to chat. Papyrus takes you out to the spot reserved for couples to dance. Papyrus takes you over and you two dance. You do for a few songs and soon the two of you were the only ones dancing. You laugh and dance with him more and eventually you two and the music stop.
"Papyrus?" You say looking up at him and he smiles down at you.
"(Y/N) FROM THE FIRST DAY I MET YOU I KNOW THERE WAS SOMETHING SPECIAL ABOUT YOU. THEN YOU WERE SO KIND TO EVERYONE AND INSISTED ON DOING THINGS YOUR OWN WAY. I HAD NEVER MET SOMEONE THAT DETERMINED TO DO WHAT THEY WANTED BEFORE. BUT ONCE I SAW HOW YOU HANDLED YOURSELF I COULDN'T STAY AWAY. YOU HAD ME CAPTURED IN YOUR PERSONALITY. THAT DAY YOU PROTECTED SANS AFTER HIM HURTING YOU SO SERIOUSLY EARLIER IN THE DAY, YES I KNEW IT WAS HIM BY YOUR ANSWER, I KNEW THAT I HAD TO MAKE YOU MINE. THE MORE THAT HAPPENED THE MORE I GREW TO LOVE YOU. THEN THERE WAS THE DAY OF THE LAST FIGHT WE HAD IN THE UNDERGROUND WHEN YOU RAN OFF IN VERY LITTLE CLOTHING…. I THOUGHT I'D LOST YOU ESPECIALLY WHEN I SAW THE STATE YOU WERE IN WHEN TORIEL HAD YOU. I THOUGHT YOU WOULD NEVER WAKE UP…. BUT YOU DID AND YOU SAVED ALL OF US FROM BEING TRAPPED FOREVER. AND NOW YOU SHOW ALL OF US HOW WE SHOULD BE ACTING EVERY DAY. TODAY WAS HARD FOR YOU I KNOW BUT I WANT TO MAKE SOMETHING GOOD HAPPEN FOR YOU." Suddenly hes down on one knee with a ring box in his hand and start talking in a softer voice. "(Y/N) (L/N), will you do me the honor of being my wife?" You can feel tears gathering in your eyes and you tackle him in a hug.
"YES! YES! A HUNDRED TIMES YES!" You reply. He takes your hand and puts a ring on your finger. It's a diamond with sapphires surrounding it. You smile and the two of you go back to your table and pay for your meal. "Hey Papyrus?" He looks at you. "You know its getting close to midnight. We should go home." He grins and nods. The two of you get in the car before going home.