Why are you running?

"Where are we going?" I giggled as Darren pulled me along through the woods. My braid was smacking my back as I stumbled every couple steps because I was not expecting some rendezvous through the woods and was therefore wearing flip flops.

"I have something I need to show you." he stated as he continued to pull me along.

It was the end of summer. School was starting in a week and Darren and I had been dating for six months. He finally pulled to a stop in a clearing.

I glanced around, but didn't see anything but the woods surrounding us. "What did you want to show me?" There wasn't anything to show.

He looked at me from beneath his eyelashes, "You have to promise me you won't freak out."

My hands were wrapped around my body, because the night air was chilling and I only wore a tank top and short shorts. His words sent a shiver down my spine that I knew had nothing to do with the temperature. "Why would you say that? Just saying that is making me freak out now."

He shifted his weight and rubbed the back of his neck. It was his telltale sign that he was nervous. "Please Becca. Just promise me."

I bit my lip, "Ok, I promise."

He let out a sigh, seeming to calm down himself he then proceeded to strip.

My eyes just about bugged out of my head as soon as his shirt was off and he began working on the button to his shorts.

"What are you doing?" I shouted.

He looked up at me. "It's not what you think. I swear it will all make sense in a minute!"

I covered my eyes with my arm. "Please Darren stop. I'm... I'm not ready" I squeaked out.

He let out a soft sigh. "It's not like that Becca. I promise." he chuckled nervously. "I... I just have to show you this. If I don't actually show you... I don't think you would believe me."

That felt like a shot straight to my heart. I trusted Darren. Loved him and everything. To say I wouldn't believe him really wounded me. "I would believe you..." I mumbled quietly.

"I need you to look now, Becca."

Taking a large breath to gather my courage, and saying a little prayer in hopes that he wasn't naked, I opened my eyes. He stood in front of me, in only his boxers. I had seen his nicely toned body many times this summer, and the summer before when we went swimming, but just knowing that he was in his underwear made it feel different, more intimate... and awkward.

"Ok." he said, holding out his arm as if I was a doe and any sudden movement would send me shooting through the forest. "now I need you to stay calm. I'm not going to hurt you."

I nodded my head slowly and took a large gulp of air. I said I trusted Darren. I believe he would never do anything to hurt me. Now I have to prove these feelings.

He sucked in a breath of air, as if to concentrate, and then before my very eyes he began to morph until there was a giant chocolate brown wolf where he once was.

I took a sharp intake of air and I felt my eyes widen. "DDarren?" I stuttered. The wolf slowly nodded its head. I was frozen in place.

The wolf kept eye contact and slowly walked towards me. He was big for a wolf. I could tell from his brown eyes, which matched his fur, that he was Darren. When he was finally an arm's length away he lowered his head slightly. I cautiously put my arm out and met the top of his head. His fur was super soft under my fingertips. As soon as I touched him I felt calmer. I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding. Both my hands started to run through his fur. He seemed to enjoy this. I worked my way closer to him until my head rested against his and my arms were around his neck. I looked right into his eyes, "You're really Darren, aren't you?" He licked my cheek before breaking out of my hold, grabbing his clothes and going behind a tree.