Dreams

I dropped Bio. I still wanted to go to college, but I needed to avoid Josh. It was still the beginning of school and people were still switching their classes around. I decided not to pick up another course though, I would still have twelve credits which was still considered full time and allowed me to keep my scholarship, even if it only covered half of tuition.

Even though I didn't have to go to school until 1:30 now I still went at noon every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday so Darren and I could grab lunch together.

I didn't see Josh Monday or Wednesday, but I could feel a burning on my neck during lunch on Wednesday, as if I were being watched, most likely by Josh.

Friday rolled around and I and Darren had gone to Murphy's, a deli On campus. Darren had left to find us our seats while I got both our drinks. I grabbed his sprite and my root beer and turned, nearly bumping into someone, "oh!" I said surprised, "Josh!" I say doubly surprised. I held onto the drinks and tried to keep them from spilling. He steadied me by grabbing my arms. My heart started to beat faster, and I tried pushing the emotions back "what are you doing here?" I hissed.

"You haven't been in class." he searched my face as if the answer might be found there. "I thought you might be skipping because of me." His hands dropped away from me.

I avoided his gaze, "I'm not going anymore because I dropped it."

His eyes fell, "because of me?" He said lowly.

I kept my gaze from his, "yes."

He took a large inhale and let it go, "alright then. Fine. Just know this," My eyes drifted up to his, and they bored into me. "I love you, and I'm going to keep fighting for you. I'm never going to give you up." He leaned forward slightly and I took a step back. He pursed his lips, as if to keep from saying something, and then turned and walked away.

I watched as he left the restaurant, and then walked over to Darren with our drinks and slowly sank into my chair.

"Was that Josh?" Darren's voice was a low threatening tone.

I slowly nodded, not trusting my voice.

"What was he doing here?"

"He wanted to know why I hadn't been in class." I kept my gaze from Darren.

"That's it?"

I nodded, "yeah."

He scoffed and rolled his eyes. "What?" I pushed.

He looked at me for a second before grabbing his sandwich and biting down. I stared at him, "you were listening weren't you?" He didn't answer. "Why'd you even ask if you already knew what he said." he grabbed a napkin to wipe his mouth, still too full of food to answer. "Were you making sure I wasn't lying to you? Are you worried I'm seeing Josh behind your back? Do you really not trust me?"

He finally swallowed and put his hands up, "hey calm down. It's not that I don't trust you. It's just I saw a guy come in and walk up like he's known you forever. I know that look in his eyes and could tell he was your mate. I just wanted to hear you say it was over." His eyes fell to his sandwich, "I saw him try to kiss you."

My mouth fell open, "n-no he didn't."

"Yes he did. Why do you think he leaned forward?"

I was silent. "Well I moved away." I mumbled.

"I know." he reached out and grabbed my hand. "But I will be watching him. I won't let him take you from me." his grip tightened slightly.

"Well he can fight for me all he wants, you already have my heart." I smiled up at him and squeezed his hand in return.