A.E. Ending 1: Cutting Ties

That night my dream seemed much clearer. In fact I was beginning to learn the woods myself. I could now navigate myself through to the clearing, rather than wander aimlessly with voices guiding me. Truthfully it felt as if there was a pull in my soul guiding me, but the trees became familiar. A right turn here, a jump over a fallen log there. Suddenly I was in the clearing again...and so was Josh.

Well, more of Josh than there had been. A figure, sitting down with his back to me, was in the middle of the clearing. I could clearly see Josh's sandy hair and blue shirt, only I could also see through him as well. It was as though he were a ghost.

"J-josh?"

His head picked up when he heard me.

"Becca." He said wistfully.

I walked around until I was in front of him. "I-I can see you tonight...sort of" I studied him closer, he had a wide grin stretched across his face, as if he couldn't be any happier. However I could see the leaves peering through his form.

He stood up. "Yes Becca. I'm getting better from your visits." He started walking toward me, his eyes twinkling while they watched me. "My sweet Becca." His hand caressed my cheek. His touch felt like a sea breeze on my face, barely there. Still I found myself leaning into his touch for a moment before realizing what I was doing and abruptly pulling back.

I shook my head and stepped back. "We can't Josh, please."

Anger flashed across his face and his hand dropped. It was quickly replaced by sorrow however. "You still love him don't you? After all the dreams we've shared...I can't win can I?"

My heart was breaking from his words. My body jerked forward, wanting to wrap him in a hug, but I stilled it. "Josh I...I wish things could have turned out differently. I really do, but you are right. I love Darren, and I won't leave him just because the moon goddess decided I should." I paused for a second before continuing in a soft voice, "Whoever I choose...the other will be left without a mate."

Josh stepped closer and raised my face with his ethereal hand. "Becca," I could hear the hurt in his voice, "It's ok. Don't worry about me, leave."

Tears clouded my vision and the forest and Josh grew blurry. I didn't realize my heart could hurt so much. I closed my eyes to fight back a sob. When I opened them again I was surrounded by darkness. "Josh?" I whimpered. "Josh?"

There was no reply. I sunk to my knees and cried. When I woke up I could feel my face stained by tears, but, it's what I wanted isn't it?

Being the week of midterms I was studying too much to visit Josh again, though he was constantly on my mind. My heart was crying for him, and he wasn't in my dreams anymore. I wasn't truly getting any sleep. Darren noticed my raccoon eyes and weird behavior.

"Becca, are you ok? Have you been getting sleep?"

"I sleep with you, you know I'm sleeping." I retorted grouchily.

"Yeah...yeah, I see that. However, is it good sleep? You do seem pretty restless most nights."

I sighed. "I...I don't know. I can't focus now that the dreams have stopped."

"What dreams? The Josh dreams?"

I nodded sullenly.

"What happened?" Darren seemed deeply concerned, even though I was dreaming about someone else.

"He told me to leave. To choose you, and now I haven't seen him in my dreams since."

Darren was silent a moment, "He didn't break the bond though?"