The Beginning

Your Pov:

I remember standing on that hill with Trilby, watching Defoe Manor collapse in a pile of flaming ash.

The ordeal was over.

After that, we left, using our time to track our fence. For days, weeks, and months we were both paranoid out of our minds. We were so paranoid that we did everything together: eating, sleeping, even showering sometimes. Entering homes led to flashbacks, which led to nightmares later at night.

It was two years later when we were caught by the government in a sting operation. I woke up next to Trilby in a cold filthy cell I thought would be my new home. Then, the man from the government came, offering an alternative to prison: The Special Talent Project. We left our thieving pasts behind and spent a year and a half doing everything necessary to make flawless reputations for ourselves. But the past always catches up, no matter how long we left it.

The news kept reporting on Simone's continual breakdowns. We could tell she had taken to the bottle by the way her words slurred and her eyes lost their warmth. We decided that a visit was in order. It was a warm, stormy night when we came to the apartment. I wasn't ready to see her.

I looked at Trilby as we stopped outside Simone's door, "I...I don't think this is a good idea." He held my hand tighter, "I know, but we need to talk to her." He knocked on Simone's door, but there was no answer. He knocked again. No one answered. I looked at him, "Well?" He took something out of his tie: a lock pick.

I simply shook my head as he picked the lock and opened the door. The inside of the apartment was pitch black. Intermittent flashes of lightning barely lit the room. We stepped inside, taking careful steps. From behind me, I heard Trilby open the blinds. The lightning flashed again and I put a hand over my mouth as my eyes caught sight of Simone's body. Trilby bent down next to her.

He felt for a pulse and pulled his hand back. He looked at me and shook his head. I called an ambulance and we left the apartment. We ended up out of work for a while, since we were suspected of murder. Once the ministry inspected the apartment, however, we were back on the job. We walked into our shared office.

On the desk, was a folder. I picked it up and opened it to the first page. I read the first two words and nearly dropped the folder. I started to shake, "N-No! I want nothing to do with that house..." Trilby took the folder from me and read it. Then, he grasped my shoulders, "I know you're scared, but we need to get that thing away from innocent people. I'll protect you."

In the folder, was investigative reports on Defoe Manor. Looters had taken things from the rubble, including the Idol. Luckily, no murders had been committed yet. It was now in the hands of a historian.

Before we left to find the idol, we warned Jim to go into hiding. He did so without a complaint. Then, we began our own investigation. It lead us to a small island off the coast of Anglesey. We assumed to roles of an antique scholar/liason and his wife. We quickly got our disguises together. Trilby was in an older fashioned suit without the jacket and his famous hat. I was in a dark grey dress and flats.

Then, we began our long drive to the boat to get to the island, unaware of the horrors awaiting us