Delving Deep

Your Pov:

I heard a voice behind me, "Boo!" Trilby and I jumped. Trilby yelped, "Ah!" We turned to see Abed behind us. He spoke, "My apologies, you two, but I couldn't resist. You looked so lost in that painting I don't think you even saw me come in." I stayed silent, my brain still trying to process what I saw. Trilby hesitated, "What? I...what?" Abed looked concerned, "Are you alright, you two?" Trilby looked at me before looking back at him, "It's just for a moment there I saw...never mind." Abed frowned.

"Siobhan and I were talking about you after you ran out of the room. I said you seemed like something was making you terribly anxious. Frankly, I think that's still the case." I  finally spoke, "I appreciate the concern, but we're alright, professor." Trilby spoke up, "Professor, do you know anything about a ship called the Sea Angel?"

Abed nodded and told us about it. After that, Abed turned and headed down the hall. I took a step and paused when I heard something crinkle under my foot. I looked down to find a small leaflet. I picked it up and showed it to Trilby, "It looks like some page from a book." He nodded.

"Let's read it."

Victim 5: The Child

1. The fifth Man who desired judgment was the Child, whose father held in his possession the carving of the Slave. The Prince came to him and was at once rightly pleased with what he found, for the house of the Child and his father already knew well the name of the King.

2. And as the Prince watched, the Child was thrown down by his father and broken with the wood of the Prince's Soul, but as the Child's Body, Mind and Soul began to drift apart, the Prince held them together, and he said:

3. "You are the Child, and to you I grant power, for I see in you the potential that will grant my father, the King, his greatest wish. You shall be not of the land of Technology, nor of the realm of Magick, but of both, and thus you shall form the Bridge."

4. "And across the Bridge the King shall come to bring his message to the Men of Technology. Through you, Child, the Bridge will come, and thus I name you the Bridgekeeper."

5. And the Prince touched the Child, and he was the Bridgekeeper, and his three aspects were granted power, so that his Soul would join with the Prince's Soul in the wood of the Tree.

6. And the Bridgekeeper rose up and threw down his father and threw down his brother, and truly did they know the name of the King. And into the house of his father went the Body and the Mind of the Bridgekeeper.

I looked at him, "I'm losing my mind in this place." He pocketed the note, "We just have to find the idol and then we can leave." I sighed, "Then let's get to the artifact room and find that chisel." I turned, spotting a matchbook on the front desk. I pocketed it. We went to the artifact room, only to find it locked.

We walked upstairs towards our room. I paused in the middle of the hall, noticing a fire alarm a few feet up on the wall. I could feel Trilby staring at me. I looked towards the fire escape before taking out the matches. I heard Trilby, "(Y/n), what are you doing?" I quickly lit the match, holding it up to the alarm. The alarm rang out as the sprinkler system turned on. Suddenly, there was a flash. I saw the tall man standing in the middle of Defoe Manor's on fire trophy room.

The image faded when the fire escape door unlocked. I quickly opened the door and climbed down the ladder. We were outside now. There was a picnic table while a rusty, old crow bar on it. For some reason, Trilby picked it up. We headed back inside and the hotel shifted again. The whispers returned, but I tried to ignore them. We made our way to the convention room, only to find the door boarded up. Trilby took the crowbar and wedged it between the boards. He jerked the crow bar down and the boards came off.

Before opening the door, we both took another pill. Stepping inside, the hotel shifted again. The normal convention room was clean and airy, but the artifacts on the table said otherwise. The rocking chair and shackles were there among other things. The chisel sat in it's own space, the words 'Sea Angel' carved into it's handle.

Once again, I felt my body move against my will, my hand reaching out and touching the chisel just as Trilby did.

Then, there was complete darkness...