1 - Charge of the Light Brigade

Task: You are one of the very few soldiers out of the 600 who survived (from the poem, 'Charge of the Light Brigade' by Alfred Tennyson). Write an account of what you experienced at the Battle of Balaklava. 

My hands were adorned with a thick, metallic substance, the pain in my shoulder unbearable. I shot arrow after arrow at the enemy, watching as they fell one by one. Their screams were drowned out in the battle cry. Shouts echoed in the valley. Bodies fell and tempers rose, a malevolent anger on one side, and fearful determination driving the other.

Tormenting pain rippled through my body as I constantly pulled the drawstring back. Yet they kept advancing steadily towards us. An agonising scream tore me from my almost automated routine. Bullets ricocheted off our poorly structured base. Like dominoes, my companions crumpled as bullets lodged into their flesh. My legs, which were raw and bloody, stumbled as I fled. Foreign terms were laced with venom, and were advancing insufferably close. My fate was decided, right there and then. As if it could help, I pretended to drop dead. Heavy, studded combat boots dug into my limbs as they charged over me. Yet I had survived. Now, here I was, watching in horror at the fallen mess of bodies that littered the ground, the image burnt into my mind for good.

That's it! I didn't really know how to end it, and I'm really sorry but I stole a line or two from @KHS-Twins story, 'Percy Jackson at Hogwarts'. You should read it! It made me cry :(

Please feel free to give feedback. I also have no idea why I used both bullets and arrows. Were bullets even used during the Battle of Balaklava?

22.05.20 

-Chloe Isabella