[19] Frankie

When I got home, I threw my keys on the kitchen counter and threw my boots in the laundry room. I should've taken them off outside, but my head had been too filled with thoughts of Haylie for me to remember. Reed was sitting at the table, working on something while she waited for me.

"Hey." I walked over to her and leaned against her chair and the one next to her. "What are you doing?" My eyes went to the paper between her arms and saw a swirl of colors in the shape of a sunset.

"Painting," she replied, glancing up at me. "How was your date?"

"Perfect. Haylie says hi. I'll tell you all about it, I just need to take a shower first, okay?"

"Yes, please. You smell like sweat."

I laughed and turned for the stairs. "Well I did hike three miles up and down a mountain. Not that that would make someone sweat or anything."

She went back to concentrating on her artwork and didn't say anything as I headed up to my room to grab a change of clothes. While I was waiting for the water to heat up, I took out my phone and texted the group chat I had with my friends.

Guess who has a girlfriend, bitches?

Brady was the first to respond a couple minutes later, sending, Damn, Frankie, that was fast.

Not when you've been waiting for eighteen years.

True, he agreed at the same that Logan sent his reply.

I'm so happy for you guys, no one deserves this more than you.

Thanks, man. It's all been so worth it. I'm glad things are good with us now.

Yeah, me, too.

That's great, Frankie. You better not drop us for her, though, Harrison jokingly warned.

No worries, man. I've been dealing with your shit for this long, there wouldn't be a point in throwing that away now.

I checked the water again and put my phone on the counter with my towel, then stripped off my clothes and got in. My mouth had to have been permanently fixed into a smile because even with as hard as I tried, I couldn't seem to close it. Not that I cared. I was far too happy for it to bother me.

Being with girls had always been great, but a single night with one was nothing compared to knowing that I had months and even years before me to spend with Haylie. I genuinely couldn't believe I was finally getting everything I'd always wanted.

Reed was still at the table after I'd finished my shower, but there was another piece of paper in front of the space across from her. I took my seat, figuring that was how she wanted to spend her night with me, and picked up a spare paintbrush she'd laid out.

"How's your sunset coming?" I asked her and nodded at her paper. Art really wasn't something I loved doing, but if that's what my little sister wanted to do, I'd do it.

"Good. I think I'm going to paint something else when I'm done. That way you can have time to finish yours. What are you going to make?"

"I'm not sure. What do you think I should do?"

"I think you should do something for Haylie. I think she would like it if you did. She's in art, isn't she?"

"Uh, yeah. I'm not sure exactly what class it is, but she's into this kind of thing." Her birthday was coming up soon anyway, so this would make a good gift. I slipped into my thoughts for a minute, trying to decide exactly what I should paint for her. There seemed to be a million different possibilities. I didn't know how to narrow it down.