Chapter 39

Javert woke up to a knock on the door. He groaned and buried his face into the pillow. He heard Rose greeting Marius and Cosette.

"Father" someone whispered right next to him. His voice was deep so he guessed it was Hugo.

"What?" He mumbled into the pillow.

"They're here" he mumbled.

"Tell them I am dead" Hugo laughed and put his hand on his father's back softly.

"Hugo?" Rose called from outside.

"Wish me luck" muttered Hugo. Javert heard his footsteps walking away. Only minutes later, Javert heard Rose's soft footsteps coming towards him. He pulled the covers over his head so no part of him could be seen.

"Javert I could see you" She said while sighing.

"No, you can't" he mumbled. Javert felt the bed sink down as Rose sat down next to him. He felt the covers get yanked off him and he glared up at Rose.

"They're asking where you are" she informed him.

"Let's stay here" he muttered while wrapping an arm around her waist.

"Even though the thought is tempting, I am going to have to refuse. Get dressed and come outside" she said. Javert groaned and got up. He put on a white shirt and walked out of the room. He descended the stairs and with a deep breath, walked to where they were sitting. He shook hands with Marius and nodded politely at Cosette. He smiled at their daughters and took a seat in between Lilith and Hugo.

"Hugo looks exactly like his father" said Marius. Javert placed his hand on the back of Hugo's neck and smiled.

"And Lilith has grown to be absolutely gorgeous" continued Marius.

"Eponine and Fantine are beautiful too" smiled Rose. Javert sighed, already bored.

"Why don't the kids go and play" said Cosette. Hugo put his hand on Javert's knee and Javert smiled reassuringly.

"Hugo, Lilith, Pierre come on, go play with Eponine and Fantine" said Rose. The five children all got up and went up the stairs, leaving the two couples alone.

---

"They're gone!" Shouted Hugo while running down the stairs.

"Longest day of my life" said Pierre.

"Where's Papa?" Asked Lilith while looking around for her father.

"He fell asleep" replied Rose.

"You must be joking" said Hugo while laughing.

"I wish I was. Somewhere in the middle of the conversation he said he was going to go up to our room to check on something, I went up to see where he had went to find him asleep" says Rose while laughing. The three children burst out laughing.

"Do you think we should wake him up?" Asked Rose mischievously.

"Definitely" smirked Lilith.