2-

Erin's ears perked when she heard the door open downstairs. Chris was never in before five o',clock and never ready for dinner before seven but he had asked her to have dinner ready by 5:30 today as his son was coming home for the summer. She had never met his son. He was from a previous marriage and Chris rarely mentioned the boy. Actually he had never mentioned him at all until a week ago. He had come in from work and told her his boy was coming home for the summer. She had been surprised to say the least. A child is something you usually mention before getting married to someone.

Erin had met Chris about five years ago. She was much younger than him and he had been charming. After a couple months of dating he had asked her to marry him and she couldn't think of any reason why she shouldn't. A few months later they were married and she was pregnant. Emmy Lou was now three going on four. She apparently had a half brother, who knew. She rolled her eyes at the thought.

Erin stopped her train of thought and turned her focus back to Emmy. "Alright baby lets go see daddy. He wants you to meet your new brother." She said reaching for Emmy's hand.

"Is him nice mommy?" Emmy asked looking up at her. "Will he play with me?"

"I'm sure he's very nice. I hope he plays with you but he's a boy so he may want to play in the dirt." She said wrinkling her nose.

"I like to play in dirt!" Emmy exclaimed as they descended down the stairs.

Erin stopped suddenly when she saw the man standing in the kitchen. Who the hell, she thought to herself. The man was standing by the counter looking out over the side deck and out into the valley. He was tall, lean, and muscular. His jeans fit perfectly on his backside and simple t-shirt showed the flexing muscles in is back as he lifted a water bottle up taking a sip.

"Who is he?" Emmy asked breaking her train of thought and causing the man to turn and look at them. He was handsome. His hair was a dark blonde almost brown and his stubble was short but clean on his sharp jawline.

He smiled as he squatted down on Emmy's level. He stuck his hand out towards her, "Hey I'm Chance. What's your name?" He asked.

Emmy who was normally shy and bashful released her hand and slapped hers down in Chance's, "Emmy Lou!" She squealed. "You're purdy!" She added.

"Emmy!" Erin exclaimed embarrassed. "I'm so sorry," She said as Chance stood up meeting her eyes.

His eyes held her. "It's no problem. Chance," he said extending his hand towards her. She hesitated and stared at him. "And your name is.." he asked.

"Oh god I'm sorry. Erin," she said placing her hand in his. His hand was soft but she could feel the rough calluses indicating he was no city boy. Erin released his hand and smiled. "Umm I don't mean to be rude but who are you?"

The door opened again and Chris came walking in. Seeing him was all she needed to pull her out of her daze.

"Daddy!" Emmy squealed but held her position next to Erin. "Daddy this is Chance." She said.

"Hey honey. Emmy." Chris said nodding their way. "I see you've all met." He added.

"Not quite," Erin responded.

Chris walked over placing his hand on Emmy's head and a quick kiss on Erin's cheek. "Hun I told you my son was coming. Erin, Emmy, this is my son Christopher Ryan Clermont III." He said gesturing towards Chance. "Son, this is my wife Erin and our daughter Emmy."