14-

Chance and Colt laughed as Bryson was thrown from Cherry. "Damnit Chance I don't see why this damn horse only likes you." He said wiping the dirt from his jeans.

"What's not to like!" Chance countered.

"Ahh shit boys let's get it together boss man and the suits are coming." Joe warned. The guys all gathered outside of the fence where the horses were out grazing and walking around. "Let's make sure no disasters happen. They wanted to see all of the horses."

"Hey Joe how come we need investors?" Colt asked.

"Old man's got more money then god Colt so why do you think." Chance said flatly.

"Shit I don't know man is the ranch in trouble?" Colt asked again concerned.

"Greedy Bastard only wants more money." Chance said to no one in particular.

Joe spoke up and added, "New investors will be good for the place. It does mean more money but that just means more resources. And hopefully a pay raise." He added the last part for himself. Joe had been Chance's dad's right hand man for almost as long as Chance had been alive but his dad treated him as nothing more than a ranch hand where payments were concerned. Chris paid them all well but Joe was more than the rest of them.

—-

"Up here we've got all of horses out for you guys to see. These gentlemen are our ranch hands. They help keep this place running." Chris explained to the suits.

Who is he kidding? If it weren't for the ranch hands there would be no ranch. Erin thought to herself. She was tired of playing the well behaved wife just so Chris could get even more money. He had aspirations of adding another giant barn and buying a helicopter. He could already afford it but he didn't want to spend his own money. Why not get investors to pay for it.

Erin felt Emmy stir in her lap. She sat up wiping her eyes and looking around trying to get her bearings. Her eyes finally landed on the horses they were approaching.

"Mommy where's Chance?" She asked sleepily.

Erin looked through the guys nearly missing him. He was standing with Colt, Bryson, and Joe. He usually wore his dirty baseball hat backwards but it was replaced by a clean one pulled low over his eyes. The guys must've been told to dress up because they all sported button up shirts and hole-less jeans. Their boots were shined and most of them wore cowboy hats, everyone except Chance who had on a baseball hat and Colt who wasn't wearing a hat at all.

Chance's jeans fit tightly on his thighs and butt. He had on a a dark button up with the sleeves rolled up. Unlike the night of the bonfire only the top two buttons of his shirt were undone. His chest was still slightly visible. Erin realized she was staring and hadn't answered Emmy.

"Mommy!" Emmy squealed. "I see him, I see him."

"Me too baby," is all she could manage.

They came to a stop and Chris went on and on about the horses. "What about the one that chucked your man when we pulled up?" One of the suits asked. "Seems like a horse that wild could be a liability."

Chance finally met Erin's eyes. Their eyes held but Chris' words interrupted. "Oh no she's actually very tame. Son come here." Chris waved Chance over. He broke eye contact with Erin and walked over. "Gentlemen this is my son Christopher Ryan Clermont III." Chance stuck out his hand nodding at each of the investors.

Erin could see the clean lines of his jaw tighten as he clenched them. Chris hadn't treated Chance like a son since he had been there yet he wanted to show off to these people. Erin felt sick at Chris' actions. "Son why don't you hop over there on Cherry and show these guys just how peaceful she is." Chance turned and faced his father but his expression never faltered or changed. He turned to walk towards the gate.

"Chance!!" Emmy squealed. She pulled away from Erin and ran towards him. He picked her up and held her. "Hey Emmy Lou. Go back and stand with your mom for a minute okay and then I am all yours." Emmy got down pouting as she walked back to Erin.

"She loves her big brother." Chris added. He was so fake. It was absurd the way he was portraying himself. Chance opened the gate and walked to Cherry. He whispered something to her as her petted her neck. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a sugar cube slipping it to her. Without any show Chance mounted Her. She didn't flinch or moved. He nudged her with his foot and she started to gallop in a circle around the fence. The suits all cheered in applause.

After showing the suits the horses they mingled with the ranch hands. Chris had stepped to the side with two of the suits talking. Erin and Emmy made their way to Chance. Emmy hugged him again and talked some before Colt came over and swooped her away, leaving Chance and Erin alone.