Training

Noah's life kept going.

His long black hair kept growing, so his mother would often comb them for him.

Lily kept managing the first floor of the guests' building, occasionally meeting Rhys deep in the night.

She would often beg him to do more for his son, explaining Noah's interests in cultivation and martial arts, but Rhys would always refuse, hiding behind the rules of the main family.

"I can't do anything about him, Lily. The rules are fixed: his position allows him only to get access to the low-level techniques, and that is only permitted if he shows some merits in the family guard and completes some mission. You can send him there and see how it goes."

Lily's face darkened after she heard those words.

The truth was that Noah wasn't spending his time in the library anymore since he had turned eight, he would instead go to the guards building doing chores in exchange for some combat tips.

With the most pleading voice Lily could muster, she asked Rhys:

"Our son is smart, he has already figured out that he can not find anything relevant about cultivation in the library and shifted his attention to the guards hoping to obtain something valuable. He is only ten now, he must be thirteen to join the guards officially, but he has been doing chores for them for two years now only to get a better starting point! Can't you give him anything? You did that with your other two sons----"

SMACK!!!!!

A slap hit Lily's left cheek.

She yelled lightly, and then she recomposed herself in a half-kneeling position with her head lowered and a metallic taste enveloping her mouth.

"Remember your position! Remember that it was me who allowed you to give birth to that bastard, and that is only because you can ease the grief I feel for my dead wife. Don't you dare compare the son and daughter Rebecca gave me with the son of a lowly whore anymore, you should never forget that I'm the one allowing the two of you to live."

Trembling a bit, Lily answered:

"I'm sorry, my lord!"

And then she completely kneeled with her head touching the ground.

"Tsk, you better stand up and make up for making me angry."

.

.

.

At the same time, in the guards building, a kid about ten-eleven years old was carrying two large buckets of water to a group of guards sweating under the sun.

This kid was, of course, Noah doing chores for the guards.

Since he understood that he could not achieve anything reading books, he started searching for other ways to come in possession of cultivation techniques.

Apart from breaking in the inner building and steal the books, which was impossible, the only option he had was to enter the family guards and obtain enough merits to be granted access to the inner circle.

His teacher scolded him for half a day before giving up on him and going back to the inner circle while his mother only hugged him and said:

"Be careful."

Even though Noah could see a trace of disappointment in Lily's eyes, he could not help but follow his decision.

He didn't want to give up and live another worthless and unappealing life now that he saw hope to be more than a normal man.