Shot In The Dark

The mail that had arrived the following morning was left on Tommy's desk. As he flicked through the many letters he came across one that was addressed to Amelia.

The writing was clear as it was day. It was from Luca Changretta, his writing matching the black card that sat in his desk. Ripping it open he quickly scoured the contents.

"Not a chance" he mumbled to himself. Mr Changretta was requesting a private meeting with Amelia and Amelia only. The message was a clear tactic to separate them both in hopes Amelia would hand Tommy over on a plate.

Tommy couldn't be certain that she wouldn't give him up, after all he had forced her hand many times over the past weeks, threatening to have a man killed if she touched him. The thought alone was enough to stop his breathing. The ultimate betrayal.

—-
Amelia was heading down the stairs that morning when she heard Polly's voice. Polly had just arrived and was talking to Tommy in the foyer. As soon as their eyes reached hers she knew that something was wrong.

"We need to talk" Polly said as she clutched at a cigarette.

"Polly" Tommy warned, his eyes telling her not to speak further. Amelia resented him for his cold attitude and treating her like a child.

"It's worth a shot Tommy" and Polly began to head towards his office. Amelia finished the stairs and made her way into Tommy's office, completely ignoring him standing there.

Polly had made herself welcome at Tommy's desk so Amelia took the seat next to it.

"Changretta wants to see you" Polly said, turning to face Amelia "A letter arrived for you this morning. He's requesting a temporary parlay to discuss our predicament"

"Me?" Amelia looked at Tommy and knew straight away that he wasn't happy with the request. It was interesting to see him guard himself around her after pushing away her help. It was something she would unpack when she was alone.

"He wants to use you to get to me" Tommy said as he paced in front of the large windows a cigarette smoking in his hand as he went.

"You don't know that Tommy" Polly reasoned "Let Amelia try to reason with him. If we can get out of this unscathed then why not?"

"Men like that are savages Pol. There is no sweet talking our way out"

"I'll do it" Amelia said and sat back, ready for Tommy to argue with her. If this was her way of getting out and being free again Amelia would do whatever it took. Even if that meant meeting the man who wanted her head on a plate.

"Absolutely not" and he turned to her, his hands splayed open.

"Well, it's not up to you" she snapped back "If he wants to meet with me then I'll meet the man."

Polly was ready for them to come to blows, she couldn't feel the fury brewing and bubbling over and decided to light another cigarette to take the edge off.

"If you meet him we can't protect you. We won't be able to get to you" and he banged the table making Amelia jump.

Quickly recovering she stood up "It won't be the first time you haven't been able to" and she knew it was a low blow but she couldn't help it. "I can't live under lock and key forever"

Tommy licked the bottom of his lip out of frustration before lighting a cigarette. This was his tell tale of stress but Amelia didn't care. It wasn't up to him. Polly on the other hand admired Amelia's tenacity to fight back, to not give into him but then she began to worry. Amelia's resentment towards Tommy might just be their downfall.

Amelia wanted to get this over and done with. If she had one shot she was sure she could persuade Mr Changretta to leave. After all his brother had come after her for no good reason, it was only to get to Tommy because he wouldn't do business with them.