eight.

"Fuck is you sayin?!" Grim paced back and forth in the living room, seething

"Fuck is you sayin?!" Grim paced back and forth in the living room, seething. "I'm not waitin' fa' shit! Them niggas sent bullets flyin whea' my lady lay ha' head at. Fuck I'm waitin' fa?!"

"Yo sister is on probation," Brix spoke back calmly. He rarely ever yelled, nor did he need to. It had been a while since the shooting, they had to go to Nino's house to avoid police whenever they came to Grim & Sev's.

"We shoot back, we send one gun their way, shit comin' back hard on ha'. We already skatin' fuckin thin ice shootin back at they ass in the first place,"

"He's right, pop," Corinne spoke. "I know it's him. He must know I'm out—but if we rush ta' retaliate, somebody goin' back in. It ain' finna be me, and not you," she said, causing an intense silence to wash over them all as they tried to figure out their next steps.

Na'imah and Sevyn sat in Nino's spare bedroom, watching something on tv. Try as she might, Na'imah couldn't focus on anything. She was shaken up and afraid of what might happen next.

"Imah...you okay?" Sev turned to her, leaning up on her elbows. She glanced at her friend and shook her head. "What's wrong boo? Still scared from earlier?"

"Y-yeah it's just—I ain' neva got shot at befo' and I-I didn't know if somethin' would happen ta' me," she confessed.

"I understand sis," Sev nodded. "First time that shit happened ta' me my ass cried for hours. But, I know my baby got me, he always got me. You gotta rememba' dat, them boys—and Slim," she giggled. "They ain' neva gon let nun' happen ta' nobody innocent if they could help it. Especially not me and you,"

The 'and you' part really hit Na'imah. She had considered herself a houseguest, or a friend. She didn't know if they considered her more than that and she didn't wanna set herself up to be disappointed in the end.

"I see dat look on yo' face. They care 'bout you, sis. They gon make sure you straight," she assured Na'imah. Sev understood why it might be hard for her to believe that, because of the type of house she came from but she'd heard it herself, even Slim and Nino who didn't know her as well cared about her wellbeing.

She just had to help Na'imah realize it.