twenty seven.

Lightning lit up the room and thunder cracked through the sky, jolting Na'imah from a bad dream, causing her to sit straight up, nearly hyperventilating

Lightning lit up the room and thunder cracked through the sky, jolting Na'imah from a bad dream, causing her to sit straight up, nearly hyperventilating. It felt like a panic attack, so she tried her best to stay grounded and remind herself that it was just a dream. She was okay now, home safe where nobody could hurt her.

She looked to her left, and sighed when she realized Yasir wasn't there. It'd been like this for the past few days, almost a week. He was literally out all day long, and would slide into the bed at 2 in the morning while she slept. If she had a bad dream or she simply could not sleep, she had to soothe herself and try her best to get some rest when all she wanted was him.

Na'imah knew what he was doing and every day when he came home he grew more and more frustrated when they didn't get anywhere. He wasn't mean, he wasn't angry, at least not with her. He was just...not there.

Na'imah usually spent her days with Gutta and Sev, but at night when Sev had to go home, she was left with Gutta, who was a lazy dog and wanted to sleep at night like people do instead of staying up late like Yasir does.

She was alone with her thoughts, forced to confront them, and relive the horrific incident whenever she heard a loud bang, she was jolted back to the feeling of hearing the gun fire on her in her studio over and over. She hoped soon those memories would fade but for now she was feeling overwhelmed.

She sighed, reaching for her phone, noticing that it was only midnight, so she tried calling him, hoping he'd be on his way home.

"Wassup bae?" Brix answered.

"W-whea' you at?" she wondered, pulling her knees up to her chest under their thick comforter.

"Lafayette. Why wassam? You straight?" he asked.

"Um—I-I had a bad dream. Are you coming hone soon?"she asked him, hoping he'd say yes.

On the other side of the phone, Brix held back a sigh. He knew he wasn't, and he didn't want to disappoint her. "Ima be on my way ina li' while baby. Try ta' get some sleep, aight?"

"Yeah," she mumbled.

"I love you," he made sure to tell her.

"I love you too," she said, hanging up the phone. She groaned loudly, flopping back on her pillow and staring up at the ceiling before the thunder cracked again, making her jump. She knew she probably wasn't going to get any sleep until he came home.