EPISODE XXXII.

[the confessions]

Duchess, true to her word, took JJ back to her house to take care of him. She wanted him close, she wanted to be able to be there for him at any moment.

She led him through her house and into the bathroom. "Sit," she pointed to the toliet. He obeyed. "Okay, let's clean you up and then we'll go to bed. Sound good?"  he nodded.

She rummaged through her cabinets for disinfectant and gauze. She collected the items and placed them on the floor. She then got on her knees to get level with the injuries that were scattered about his torso. She tried so hard not to cry again as she ran disinfectant on each and eveyone one of them, taping gauze to the ones that were deep.

How could someone do this to their own child? Duchess' dad was a lot of things, and she was still really mad at him, but he has never and would never lay a hand on her. Everything he had done, good and bad, had been for her. She was lucky in that respect.

No child deserved this. JJ didn't deserve this. JJ who was the first person to actually welcome her to the Outer Banks. JJ who tries to find joy in everything they do. JJ who loves his friends so fiercely, protects them so loyally because they are the closest thing to family he has.

Duchess felt her throat tighten, tears threatening to spill out. She stood up and moved to put the supplies away, hiding her face from her friend so he couldn't see her wipe her tears. She turned back to him, holding out her hand. "Come on," she led him to he room," Let's get you some new clothes and get you to bed."

He stood in the middle of her room as she searched for clothes, feeling awkward. Sure he had been to her house plenty of times, but for some reason, Duchess' room felt forbidden. She handed him a shirt and a new pair of shorts, probably from the collection of shit hes's left laying around from nights he slept over.

He took the clothes, but didn't take her eyes off her. "You know what," Duchess said," How about you sleep in my bed." She motioned to the full sized mattress that took up most of the room space. "I'll crash on the couch." She then darted out of the room, leaving him to change.

Duchess was in her living room, prepping the couch for her to sleep on when she heard footsteps approach her. JJ spoke for the first time since they arrived. "I don't want to be alone."

She nodded, understanding, and allowed him to lead her back into her room. "Do you like a certain side," she asked, pointing to the mattress tucked in the corner of the room.

"What?"

"Like, which side of the mattress do you want to sleep on?"

"Oh. Uh, the side closest to the wall, I guess."

Duchess smiled at JJ. "Great choice, because I sleep on the other side." She crawled under her covers.

JJ followed her, lying on top of the mass of blankets instead of underneath. Duchess looked at him quizzically. "You know you can come under, right? It's not weird or anything."

JJ shook his head. He already felt like overstepping becaus he had asked her to stay with him. He didn't even think she'd say yes. But he needed her. Needed her like he needed to breathe. "It's okay, Lydia. I run really hot anyway. I'd be all sweaty and gross."