trust means more (f/a)

In which Y/N has a brother Harry has never met wc: 1,600+

"Thanks for letting me stay here."

You offered a small smile, "Of course. S'what family's for, right?"

Your brother gave you another hug before you shut the front door behind him, letting him into your home.

"S'that all you brought with you?" you asked, referring to the tattered, black Jansport backpack slung over his shoulder.

He nodded, "Well I'm hoping this isn't a long thing. Y'know, just a night while she cools off?"

You could laugh at your brother's ignorance - a fight big enough for his girlfriend to kick him out of the house might last longer than just one night. And that's how he ended up here - at your home, crashing until things "blow over."

"And Harry's okay with it, right? I don't want to like... step on any toes."

You shrugged, "Well, Harry's traveling for the next week still doing album promo, so he's not even here."

"You did tell him though, right?" your brother gave you a look of concern, feeling like he was now a home invader.

You only shrugged again, "No. I will, I just haven't called him since you called me. It's my house, too!"

Your brother laughed half-heartedly, "Whatever you say. Y'know, it's weird to me that you and him live together and I still haven't met him."

You sighed with guilt, "I know, he wants to meet you, too. But he travels so much and it just had never worked out with schedules. Soon, though. Soon."

Soon, you would learn, would come much quicker than either of you ever thought.

Your brother crashed on the couch that night, after you both shared a couple bottles of wine while he told you the grueling details of the fight that led him here.

In the morning, you would find two empty wine bottles and two empty wine glasses remained on the coffee table while your brother was completely passed out on the couch still.

Rather than cleaning that up now and risk waking him, you opted to shower first before figuring out how to rearrange your plans for the day now that your brother was here - unknown to you of the surprise just outside your front door.

As Harry walked up the driveway, his heart was beating practically out of his chest. He was surprising you, coming home an entire 5 days early.

His key pressed into the lock, pushing open the front door. He had hoped (and expected?) to see you maybe on the couch with a cup of coffee, enjoying whatever was on the TV, or possibly in the kitchen making something to eat for yourself.

Instead, he saw something far different.

A frown etched onto his lips immediately at the sight - an unknown shirtless man asleep on the couch, hair strewn every which way, empty bottles of wine, and empty wine glasses.

Were you cheating on him?

He heard the sound of the shower running upstairs, echoing out of your shared bedroom. He tried to make sense of it all - if you had cheated, why make the guy sleep on the couch? Unless you both slept on the couch?

His thoughts ran wild, circling through every possible scenario in which you hadn't cheated, but he couldn't think of any - the evidence was right there in front of him.

His heavy feet pounded up the stairs, stomping like a child after a tantrum.

You had just shut the water off, wrapping your body in a plush bath towel. At the sound of the footsteps, you made the assumption your brother was awake and seeking you out.