6. ALARII

Music: LADY OF THE MOON by 2002

I shuffled about on the gritty floor of my newfound pen and tried to focus on what the Night Elf was saying

I saw her smile at me, and her voice was, without a doubt, most soothing. I hobbled back a little as she brought her hand back up to the cage door.

My feathers bunched,  pushing through the thin spars behind as I backed up. She dropped some more of the yellow food into the cage. I stared at it, remembering what happened last time I was so seduced. Her soft laughter made me look back up at her. 

"Eat." The sound tumbled from her lips. "I won't hurt you."

I did not quite understand what she said, but her tone told me all I needed to know. I stretched forward, still a bit wary, but soon managed to grab and swallow another tasty morsel. She put some more through the spars; each offering readily scoffed.

All the while, her voice was soothing. I found some of the syllables were becoming easier to register. Perhaps it was the lenitive quality of her voice, such a delicate timbre.

I studied her attire. She wore a sturdy material, possibly leather and another rough-looking fabric. 

An image came to mind; I saw her wearing soft flowing robes, paying homage to some deity in beautiful, peaceful surroundings. 

Such grace surely did not belong in a harsh, unforgiving place like these swamps with their suffocating heat, humidity and filth.

I stopped eating for a moment and pondered. These thoughts were not mere speculation; they couldn't be. They had to be based on knowledge, experience, from where and when, however, I still didn't know. 

Was it merely the influence of this Elf's gentility which had given way to such introspection? I supposed it was a possibility. Yet, I felt there was something more, something which was still veiled, shielded from me, so-to-speak.

I shook, ruffling my feathers. This contraption she had placed me in was much too small; trying to preen in such a confined space was awkward. My feathers splayed and separated as they pressed out between the spars of my metal prison; it was uncomfortable. Shifting to the side, I was hoping to create enough space for me to open my wing fully; a marginal improvement resulted.

A soft click behind me made me skitter forward. The Elf had opened the door. 

My eyes regarded her cautiously.

Her voice, still like a soft breeze in summer, calmed me once more. Slowly she put her hand inside the cage, a few of the golden crumbs in her palm. I looked back at her face. Her tapered eyebrows lifted gently. 

"Forgive me for frightening you, raven. I mean you no harm," she said. "Come to me."

Glancing at her silver eyes again, I knew there was no mordant intent from this individual. I understood she only wanted to help. Her hand came further into the cage, still offering the food. 

I hopped onto her hand. Her smile broadened, and very carefully, she eased back taking me out of the cage.

Sweet notes and cadences flowed from her lips. I tilted my head, listening to those sounds; they were beautiful. She was singing.

Her free hand came up beside me, and she stroked my chest. It was a rather pleasant sensation. She gently eased my wing open and inspected it carefully. She proceeded to check my other wing in the same manner. "No damage," she said with a smile.

She lowered her hand to the table and encouraged me to jump down scattering a few more crumbs for me.  

I was surprised to see her putting on some metal attire, not unlike that which the male had worn. She strapped a chest piece in place and fastened more metallic pieces to her shoulders and wrists. I stopped eating for a moment when I recognised another item she secured to herself; a scabbard with a sword. This graceful female was a warrior? A fighter?

I jumped slightly as the male's voice came in through the doorway. He was shouting in the courtyard.

The female's head snapped up, alert. She strode over to the table, her newly adorned armour clanking as she walked. 

She leaned close to me. "Stay if you wish, raven. But I must go. The soldiers have returned, and I believe the worst is over."

I blinked. Perhaps her kindness or her singing was somehow enchanted, enabling me to translate, I knew not, but I was euphoric - I could understand every - single - word.

My heart skipped a beat. Instantly I recognised objects dotted around the hut, knowing their exact uses and purpose. 

I was overcome with gratitude. I would not let her kindness go unrewarded. Somehow, I would repay her.

As she moved to the door, I called out. She turned to look at me. 

Spreading my wings I flew over, landing on her shoulder,  my talons finding grip on her pauldrons. 

She reached up and stroked my chest again. "Alright, raven," she said. "Welcome to Marshtide Watch. I am Alarii. You may stay as long as you wish, but try to keep out of harm's way." 

We then left the hut to greet the soldiers returning to the Watch.