16. SHINDIG

I spent the rest of the day at Vernon's home

I spent the rest of the day at Vernon's home. It was a delightful abode and surprisingly clean and tidy. I had somehow thought it would be just a larger version of the fishing shack, but it was far removed. 

The interior was mainly neutral, with a splash of bright colour on soft, plump cushions, seating and drapes at the windows. Some wood carved figurines, birds mostly, lined the mantel above a generous fireplace. All in all, it was a cosy little abode.

Vernon allowed me free reign of his house. He also checked my wounds, courtesy of Effcee's attack earlier that day. There was not much discomfort now, and Vernon confirmed all seemed to be healing nicely.

I looked out the lattice window of his bed chamber and saw the town lighting up. 

Small spheres on strings were wound around the eaves of the buildings, looped through fences and fixed to any structure which the townsfolk could attach them. 

Delicate floating lanterns were pushed out on the lake, their flickering golden light rippling over the water's surface. It was charming, very quaint.

I flinched as Vernon's voice unexpectedly came through from a room where I had heard a lot of splashing, singing (his slightly off-key baritone) and a clattering of items. He appeared in the bed-chamber - his shoulder-length hair darker with still being wet and a towel fastened around his waist. 

I noted a large scar on his side which ran from his right hip to the base of his ribcage. Dana's words echoed in my mind, and I wondered if Vernon had been the poor sap who had tackled the boar which ate the notorious Martie Jainrose's begonias. 

Music: NIL SE'N LA performed by Celtic Women

A rather robust, spicy but not entirely unpleasant fragrance drifted from him. "Now raven, you can have run of the house while I'm out, but try not to ... you know, mess all over the place."

I huffily turned my attention back to the street below. Why did some people have such a low opinion of my bowel movements and my ability to control them?

A soft splat on the floor beneath me then answered that very question. 

Vernon gasped. "Oh! Now looky there! Just what I was done telling you not to do!" 

Inwardly, I was ashamed, but I fixed my gaze to the festivities outside and pretended not to notice my inappropriateness. I heard him mopping up my accident, grumbling as he did so. I chanced a sideways look. 

"I'm expecting to have some very pleasant company back here this evening, " he explained, tossing the soiled scrap of cloth into a metal container near the window. He then pointed at my tail. "So, I would appreciate if you point that end out the window at least, should you need to answer the call of nature."