Chapter 3

P.o.v: Shikamaru

I ponder his offer, shuddering at the thought of his messy house.

Naruto's... Well.. An idiot, to be honest. An impulsive one at that. Also knuckle-head, who just happens to be a major drag.

But, there's a certain thing in him I have to admire.

His determination.

No matter how hard things get, he never gives up. When he acts all cocky, high and mighty, he often doesn't have the brains to back it up (although, he gets bright ideas every so often). Yet, he still manages to win almost all of his battles. How is that, I wonder?

The only thing that stopped him from beating Sasuke, was his inability to let go of his emotions. But, that's just who he is.

I admire his bright personality.

'Not to mention his looks,' A small voice reminds me.

My face goes red, and I mentally slap myself for thinking of that again.

I heave a sigh, turning my attention to Naruto's offer once more.

Naruto and I aren't that close, not best friends or anything, but I think I'll go anyway.

But, part of me dreads staying in his house. One, for the mess, two, the noise, three, the thought of being so close to him when I have mixed, confusing feelings, and four, the fear of seeing him naked.

'Well, if he's having people over, he should've cleaned his house, and he won't be running around in his underwear..' A voice in my head argues. I also have to admit that being around him may help sort out my feelings.

'Oh well, guess I'm going.'

"Yeah, I'll go. But this better not be a drag, Naruto!" I sigh.

'It's a good opportunity to relax, and be away from my parents.' I continue in my head. I have to remind myself not to mention my parents in front of him, I don't want to bring up bad memories.

Flashback

(Sorry if the information isn't accurate, I just needed it to say this for the sake of the story.)

We were at the academy, and Naruto was sitting on the swing, looking down at his feet. I was watching him from among the crowd.

"Did you hear? He's the only one who didn't graduate...Shh, we're not supposed to talk about that.." I heard some girls conversing amongst themselves, and guessed their insults were aimed at Naruto.

Their words made me angry. 'Just because he's a jinchuriki with no parents doesn't give you the right to treat him so badly!'

I started to make my way to Naruto, but was cut off by a group of moms surrounding their children. I let it go, seeing it was pointless to ask them to move.

I looked back at him with one last sad frown, and followed the crowd inside the building, thinking how lucky the rest of us were to have parents and friends of our own.

End of Flashback

'I wish I had made more of an effort to reach him that day..'

Naruto Laughs and starts running for the edge of the building, yelling his response: "Thanks, I promise it won't be! Don't forget to ask Choji!" He waved, smiling brightly as he jumped up on the roof of the next building over, heading who knows where.

I can't help but laugh at his childish behavior. "Oh Naruto, how could I refuse?"

'Maybe this can make up for the failed mission,' I think as I walk back to my bench.

But I knew I was only kidding myself. There's nothing I could ever do to make up for that.

End Of Chapter