Chapter 11

P.o.v. Shikamaru

It's usually not a problem for me. It only bothers me when I'm alone, or apparently, when I'm in situations like this.

In the darkness, I can't use my jutsu, making the vulnerable feeling I get even worse. Anyone could attack me at any time, and I wouldn't be able to do anything about it. I'm an easy target.

I shiver like a leaf as I make my way to the light switch, which I remembered was near the front door.

Flick.

Flick flick.

"Damn it, they won't turn on," I grunt in frustration.

I sigh, and make my way to Naruto's room, thinking someone might be in the closet.

When I open the door, I hesitate to go in. After all, this was a prank. There could be someone waiting to try and scare me.

I push my pessimistic thoughts away for the moment, and step inside.

It's even darker in the closet than it was in the living room, so I search for a light switch.

I find it, and flick it on. What I see earns a gasp from me.

Neji's in the corner of the closet, tied up and gagged. I rush over to him, my breathing becoming noticeably more ragged and uneven. In my eyes, he's a helpless animal caught in a trap, even though I know how fierce he is.

I grab hold of the first rope my fingers find, and he disappears with a puff of white smoke.

"A clone?!"

The lights go out again, making me jump and let out a bit of a yelp.

My eyes shoot open as wide as they can, trying to find the culprit of the situation.

'It's no good,' I think rapidly. 'My eyes haven't adjusted to the darkness yet, I can't see anything!'

"Boo!" Someone yells.

I release a startled scream, backing up against the wall and putting my hands up in an attempt to block whatever was threatening me.

I hear laughter a few feet in front of me and slightly open an eye, sure that my facial expression is pure terror.

I hear the light flick back on, and Naruto reveals himself, still laughing his head off. He shuts up as soon as he notices the state I'm in.

"S-shikamaru? Are you okay?" He asked in a concerned voice. I sink to the floor, hunching over in a fatal position, my head between my knees, my arms making a desperate attempt to shield the nape of my neck.

"You're shaking," Naruto whispers.

"Hey, it's okay Shikamaru.."

He tries to comfort me, but I barely notice.

My entire body shivered continuously. I feel a pressure to my side and hastily try to get away, but then realize it's just Naruto sitting down next to me.

Even though he's what's got me scared, I still find a bit of comfort in his presence. I press into his warmth, almost unconsciously, as if I'd done the exact same thing a hundred times before.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

I shake my head. "I don't need your pity. You'd just laugh at me if I told you anyway." The almost too harsh words can barely be heard.

"Hey, you can trust me, I won't laugh at you," Naruto reassures me. He sounds like he's being honest. I contemplate my options, and decide to tell him. Hell, if he figures out I like him, he'll be laughing anyway.

"I.."

"I'm afraid of the d-darkness.." I mentally curse at myself to for the stutter at the end of the sentence.

I look up at him, not paying attention to his expression, and begin telling him my story.

End of Chapter