CHAPTER 2

RAPHAEL

"How do you think she's doing?" I asked out of the blue, and Paul sighed.

"I don't know, man. You really messed up," he replied.

I downed another shot of Martini, contemplating the answer to my question. Gina didn't deserve to be treated that way, especially when she wasn't to be blamed for anything. She was my everything. I sighed deeply, wiping the perspiration from my face.

"Dude, you have to let it go. I'm sure Gina has already moved on," Paul said.

"I love her, damn it," I retorted.

"But love isn't enough, right?" He yelled back, clearly frustrated with my attitude. I ignored his question and continued to drown my sorrows in alcohol. It seemed to understand me better than my best friend. If Paul wasn't like a brother to me since I was six years old, after my mom and I relocated to Canada, I might have punched his arrogant face. When did I start thinking violently? Violence has never been my style, never my habit. This drink must be messing with my mind.

"Her father destroyed my entire family. Do you really expect me to turn a blind eye to that?" I gritted my teeth, my voice lost in the loud music of the club. I ordered another bottle of Martini, staring at my now-empty glass.

"Does Regina know about the issues you have with her father? You were being selfish," he snarled back.

What the hell? If I didn't know him well, I'd think he had feelings for Gina. I exhaled and thanked the bartender for promptly fulfilling my request. I didn't bother pouring the drink into a glass, unlike Paul. I knew he was right, and maybe I had been a bit selfish, but what else could I have done? I genuinely believed I could handle it, that my love for Gina could conquer any obstacle.

"Man, I saw the shock on her face when you walked out of the church, and after she blacked out..."

"She what?" I asked in surprise, and he looked confused.

"Didn't I tell you she fainted a few minutes after you left?" I shook my head, and he shrugged. I couldn't believe Paul had forgotten such an important detail. It had been two months and one week since the wedding incident, and I still didn't know what else he had forgotten.

"Is there anything else I should know?" I asked impatiently.

"Nah, man, and besides, it wouldn't matter anymore," he said, sipping his drink and trying to flirt with two scantily clad women who walked by. I was about to explain that every detail about Gina mattered to me when my phone started vibrating. I pulled it from my pocket, checked the caller ID, and felt an immediate sense of dread.

"Mom?"

"It's Rebecca. Your mom is asleep now," I breathed a sigh of relief.

"How is her health? Is everything alright?"

She was silent, but I could still hear her breathing. I wanted to encourage her to speak, but I wasn't sure I was ready to hear what she had to say, because she only called with bad news.

"Esther doesn't want to receive treatments anymore, and Patrick won't stop coming or calling her phone."

I exhaled and released my grip on the Martini bottle. I hadn't realized how tightly I was holding it. While Rebecca's information wasn't good news, my mother was still alive, so it was a minor issue. I tried to stand so I could find a quieter area; the DJ had just cranked up the music, or maybe it had always been this loud. I ended up falling back into my seat. I tried again and stumbled once more. Why had I let myself get this drunk?

"Be careful, man," Paul said. I had already forgotten he was with me. I glanced at him and noticed he had successfully won the attention of one of the two women. It seemed he was in for a lucky night.