EPILOGUE

Five years later

Dear Diary,

Choosing Sylvester as my partner, lover, and father of my three-year-old son and unborn baby was the best decision I ever made. They are the three most beautiful people in my life, and today I am celebrating our fourth anniversary with family and friends.

"Don't tell me you still write in your diary," Anita's voice startled me, but I rolled my eyes and put my diary back in its safe place. My therapist was right about how writing happy memories can help calm your emotions.

"Are you writing about how amazing my engagement was?" she teased, standing in front of me with her hands on her hips. Last week, she finally overcame her fear and accepted Christopher's proposal. They're still working on moderating Christopher's possessiveness, but she is certain she wants to spend the rest of her life with him. I couldn't be happier for her. Her engagement party was astonishing, with the media and magazines going wild over their favorite influencer. I felt a twinge of jealousy since I didn't make my engagement or wedding public due to my past experience with Raphael.

Speaking of Raphael, he apologized for not being able to make it today but promised to raincheck. As a busy CEO in Canada, I understand, and I owe him a lot for helping me when I had my son. It still feels like yesterday when the doctor's speculation about my delivery period was wrong. My son arrived two weeks and four days early, and Sylvester was out of the country. Thankfully, Raphael was in Nigeria for a few days to seal some business contracts. I invited him over for dinner, which made Sylvester furious, but during that dinner, my child decided it was time to come out.

Raphael was shocked at first, not knowing what to do, but he eventually assisted me to the hospital and stayed with me until Sylvester got the news and flew back instantly. Sylvester went berserk and almost sued the entire hospital for the doctor's wrong speculation, but he was beyond joyful when he finally relaxed and embraced Raphael for being there.

"Down to earth, Regina," Anita shouts, waving her hands, making me laugh.

"What were you thinking about?"

"Nothing," I answered as we walked to the garden to join everyone. I couldn't help but notice my best friend had gained weight. "Are you pregnant?" I asked. She was taken aback but then nodded.

"Why didn't you say anything about it?" I faked my anger, even though I knew it was my fault. I hadn't been in close contact with my friends and family for almost a month because Sylvester was being paranoid. He didn't want to miss the birth of our second child, so he refused to let me out of his sight.

"Really? You practically ghosted everyone. At least you showed up at my engagement party," she retorted. I apologized.

"I understand, but we can't keep everyone waiting," she said with excitement. I exhaled and joined the party.

"Mama!"

Simon ran to me as soon as he noticed my presence, and the paparazzi started taking pictures, almost blinding me.

Anita, in her playful mood, picked up my son and ruffled his hair while I kissed his puffy cheeks. Right on cue, my favorite cologne filled my nostrils as my husband wrapped his hands around my big belly from behind and planted kisses on my neck, leaving goosebumps. My feelings for him could never grow old.

"It's time for your speech, unless you change your mind, which I would be glad if you did," Sylvester whispered in my left ear.

I shook my head. We had argued countless times about making our fourth anniversary a public event, but I disagreed. Since we rarely have time to visit our parents and friends, I contacted my mother to plan this event and even memorized a speech that I have now forgotten.

I tried to release his hands from me, but he refused to let go. "Sylvester," I warned, and he immediately let me go.

I smiled and planted a light kiss on his lips before going to the stage. "I want to thank everyone for honoring our invitation. As you all know, today marks our fourth anniversary, and yet I find no words to describe the three most beautiful gifts God has given me: my husband, my son, and my baby." Suddenly, I felt a slight pain in my back, but I ignored it and continued.

"A very big thank you to my in-laws, His Excellency, President Obatola, and my first lady. But my gratitude is incomplete without referencing my parents, who endured a rebellious child for years and yet love me unconditionally. M-My frien..."

I couldn't endure the pain anymore. I winced and held my big stomach. A few seconds later, liquid flowed down my legs, and I screamed. Sylvester and Uche immediately came to my aid as everyone ran helter-skelter to help me, except the paparazzi, who were glued to their cameras, eager to film the chaos.

***

"Push harder, Mrs. Obatola!" the midwife shouted for the hundredth time. I shut my eyes, tightened my grip on the bedsheet, and screamed my lungs out as I did what I was told.

"Yes! It's a girl!"

My baby finally came out, relieving me, and just like that, I gave in to the darkness.

"She is just like her mother," Sylvester's voice echoed loudly, and I opened my eyes. The light almost blinded me. As I adjusted myself, I realized I was no longer in the labour room.

"My baby," I croaked, my throat dry and weak.

"She is right here, so beautiful and healthy," my mom said as she carefully placed my baby girl in my arms.

"Regina, your husband said you have a name for your daughter," my father said with a smile. Seeing him smile because of me was a beautiful sight.

"Sylvia," I muttered and looked at Sylvester. His shock made me smile. Of course, I would name my daughter after his late twin sister. Everyone agreed with my decision, and out of the blue, Sylvester spoke, "We are making another baby soon."

No way.

THE END