CHAPTER 14

But before I could get an answer, I got distracted by the screens on the other side of his office. I stood and made my way to where the computers were showing different footage of the entire activities of everyone in the club; even the restrooms were displayed vividly. My mouth was wide open; I couldn't believe my sight.

The revelation left me speechless. "Have you been spying on me this entire time?"

Sylvester looked guilty but didn't deny it. "I had to make sure you were safe. I didn't watch every second, but I kept an eye on you."

My mind raced. The idea of being watched, even if it was for my safety, felt like a violation. "You had no right."

His demeanor softened. "Maybe not, but I couldn't bear the thought of anything happening to you."

I turned away, trying to process the mix of anger and confusion. "So all those times I felt like someone was watching me... it was you?"

"Yes," he admitted quietly. "It was always me."

I took a deep breath, trying to steady my emotions. "I need some time to think about all of this. I don't know if I can just... accept it."

Sylvester reached out, but I took a step back. "Please, just give me some space," I said.

"I understand," he replied, his voice heavy with regret. "Take all the time you need."

Without another word, I left the office, the weight of his confession pressing down on me. However, I sent a quick text to Patricia and waited for her arrival so that she could take care of him like she usually does. The drive home felt surreal, the events of the evening playing over and over in my mind.

For three days, I hadn't left my room. It was impossible to jot down any happy moments I shared with Raphael, and I didn't even want to start thinking about Sylvester. He had made me believe I was stuck with him because of the contracts he and my father lost due to my wedding disaster, only for me to discover the truth about the club. I closed my journal and was about to put it back in my drawer when someone knocked. Knowing it was either my mother or one of the maids, I shouted, "I don't want to see anyone."

I had already lied to my parents, claiming I had requested a few days off work to gather enough strength for my new position. Although they didn't believe me, they hadn't said anything.

"You either open this door or I will break it down," Sylvester's threat made me suddenly jump out of bed to open the door. He walked in and sat on my bed comfortably.

"What do you want?" I asked

His gaze hardened, but there was a hint of vulnerability in his eyes. "My general manager. You’re the best person for this job. Your skills, your determination—"

I cut him off, my voice rising. "Don’t try to flatter me now. You’ve been controlling and manipulative, and you’ve been spying on me for years!"

He took a deep breath. "I know, and I’m sorry. I did what I thought was best at the time. But right now, I need you. The company needs you."

I shook my head. "I can't work for someone who doesn't respect boundaries. You’ve crossed too many lines, Sylvester."

He stood up and leaned closer, his voice softer. "What if I promise to respect those boundaries from now on? No more spying, no more controlling. Just a professional relationship."

I wanted to believe him, but trust was a fragile thing. "How do I know you're serious?"

Sylvester stepped back, giving me the space I needed. "I'll prove it. You have my word. No more surveillance, no more manipulation. Just let me show you that I can change."

I studied his face, searching for any sign of deceit. He seemed genuine, but I was hesitant. "This is your last chance, Sylvester. If you cross the line again, I’m gone for good."

He nodded. "Understood. Now, can you come back to work? We have a lot to do, and I can't do it without you."

I sighed, feeling a mix of relief and trepidation. "Fine. But remember, one misstep, and I’m out."

He smiled, a genuine smile that I hadn’t seen. "Deal."

Trusting Sylvester would take time and effort, and I wasn’t sure if he deserved it yet but from what I gathered yesterday, he's been through a lot too.

"I'm sorry about your sister," I said, knowing it was a touchy subject but wanting him to feel my concern. Without thinking, I closed the distance between us. "I don't have to know her to understand how much you love her."

He remained silent, so I continued, "I'm sure she loved you very much, despite your pride and arrogance."

He smiled, which made me laugh. "You scared me yesterday. I've never seen you like that," I said. His expression returned to its usual coldness. On impulse, I stood on tiptoe and kissed him. He didn't respond, likely due to the deal we had made, so I pleaded, "Please, forget the deal for now."

I kissed him again, and he groaned. When I wrapped his hands around me, he realized I wasn't going to back down. He carried me to my bed and climbed on top. "You asked for this," he said as he removed my blouse. "And this," he whispered, taking off my shorts and leaving me in my underwear. I pulled him to me and kissed him again, knowing it was wrong but needing the intimacy to escape my emotional turmoil. Our moment was abruptly interrupted when the door burst open, revealing my mother.

"Regina?"

She stood in the doorway, shocked. I quickly pushed Sylvester off and scrambled to get dressed.

"Sylvester, please leave now," I said as my mom entered the room. He obliged and left. Slowly, I turned to face my very angry mother. Her next words cut deep.

"Your father was right. You are indeed a disappointment."

SYLVESTER

I didn't want to leave Regina alone, even though we were caught in the act, but she seemed to want to speak to her mother privately, so I obliged. The irritating sound of my phone made me pick up the call without checking the caller ID.

"Speak," I said angrily as I entered my car.

"Sir, we have all the evidence you need concerning the theft in the Abuja branch."

I smiled and ended the call. It was time for some of the old employees, who had worked for my father before I became CEO, to pay for their crimes. They had taken it upon themselves to steal from the company, thinking I wouldn't notice. I had also taken it upon myself to surprise them. This was why I had transferred Scarlet to that branch—to be my eyes and ears, and so far, she has done a good job.

I dialed Uche's number to inform him about my plan. When he answered, he teased me, making me wish I hadn't called him.

"Miss me so soon?"

Ignoring him, I said, "We need to go to Abuja. I'll fill you in on the way." I ended the call before he could make any other cheesy remarks.

kindly vote and comment on this chapter 😊

Thank you!!! 😘