CHAPTER 15

I've been waiting for this day ever since I became CEO. I had spoken to my father about his dishonest employees, but he needed proof to believe me. With the help of my best friend, I gathered the evidence needed to bring down the thieves.

"Are you sure you don't want to involve the police?" Uche asked.

I exhaled and replied, "The police won't punish them the way I will. Besides, my father is still the Senate President, so the law is on my side."

He nodded in agreement, fully aware that my father plans to run for president in the next election. Seeing what I've accomplished so far, my father will be proud that I handled things my own way.

"Let's end this," he said with excitement.

We disembarked from my jet and spotted the chauffeur Scarlet had arranged. Transferring her to this branch was definitely a good decision. As the ride began, Uche fell unusually silent, furiously typing on his phone. I was about to ask what had soured his mood, as it was rare to see him like this. The last time he was this moody was five years ago when my sister died, an event that deeply affected him and made me wonder if there was more between them.

"What's eating you up, buddy?" I asked. He didn't respond, trying to mask his sour mood with a fake smile, which only made me more curious.

REGINA

Your father was right. You are indeed a disappointment.

My mother's words echoed repeatedly in my ears. The way she looked at me yesterday after catching me with Sylvester was despicable, as if she saw me as worthless. To be honest, I saw myself that way too. It was hard to concentrate on the mountain of work Sylvester had dumped on my desk due to an emergency.

Knowing it was impossible to focus, I took out the journal my therapist gave me and thought of my happy moments with Raphael. I began writing about the day he took me ice skating for the first time. It was so embarrassing—I fell down many times, but Raphael was always there to pick me up. He would say Canada was the best place to show love and skill. He taught me how to ice skate and made my years in Canada unforgettable.

I inhaled deeply and wiped away a lone tear. Raphael had taught me how to love and also how to hate. Feeling a bit relieved, I closed the journal and turned back to my workload.

Time flew by, and soon the workday was over. I dreaded going home. I had avoided my mom this morning, but I knew I couldn't avoid her forever. Getting my own apartment would go against my father's rules. Despite my desire to rebel against him, I knew that given everything I had done, it was best to stay obedient.

I considered calling Anita to go to our usual club; a few drinks might give me the courage to face my mother. But then I remembered Sylvester's cameras everywhere. Even though he wasn't around and promised to remove them, I still felt like he was watching. I sighed, shut down my laptop, and summoned the courage to face my parents.

As soon as I entered the house, the maid informed me that my parents were already having dinner and I should join them. I thanked her and went to my room. Of course, I had no intention of joining them. I quickly freshened up and put on yellow pajamas, but my door suddenly burst open, revealing the last person I wanted to see—my father.

"What do you want?" I asked.

Without answering my question, he sat on the couch and said, "You've been promoted to general manager of Obatola Construction."

It was as if he couldn't believe I could receive such a promotion. I scoffed and replied, "In case you forgot, I was among the top graduates at the University of Canada West, Vancouver."

He immediately stood up and yelled, "Precisely because I thought you were brilliant! I expected you to make good decisions, but instead, you act dumb, and I always have to clean up your mess."

I bit my lip to hold back hurtful words, but knowing he would continue to berate me, I spoke out of frustration, "Father, you didn’t come here to insult me. Just get to the point and tell me the real reason you're here."

He glared at me but said nothing. I didn't have the strength for another argument, so I opened the door wide for him to leave. He walked out, murmuring about how it was a waste of time to ever think I could help him. I was about to ask what he needed my help with, but his arrogant attitude made me change my mind.

I threw myself on my bed and waited for sleep to take me, hoping my nightmares would forsake me tonight. But somehow, my mind drifted to Sylvester.

Without thinking, I picked up my phone and dialed his number. As soon as he answered, I ended the call and quickly sent a text.

To the devil:
The call was a mistake, kindly ignore.

From the devil:
Here I thought you were missing me.

I bit my lower lip, knowing I called because I wanted to hear his voice. But I played along and replied:

To the devil:
Even if it was your wish for me to miss you, a genie would not grant it.

From the devil:
I will make sure you repeat this statement when I get back.

I laughed hard and put down my phone. It buzzed again, and I quickly picked it up to read Sylvester's message.

From the devil:
It is not a threat, it's a promise.

I smiled and welcomed forbidden thoughts of Sylvester's hands on my body before sleep took over.

kindly vote and comment on this chapter 😊

Thank you!!! 😘