CHAPTER 4

I groaned as my alarm clock rudely shattered the silence of my bedroom. Groggily, I reached out to muffle the annoying noise, cursing under my breath at the early hour. 5:30 a.m. flashed on my wall clock, a reminder of the obligations that awaited me at the dreaded company. With a frustrated sigh, I silenced the alarm and begrudgingly dragged myself out of bed.

After a heated discussion with my father regarding Sylvester's unexpected work proposition, it became apparent that my options were limited: either I worked alongside Sylvester or under my father's supervision. Fuming with indignation, I stormed out of the party, feeling trapped by my parents' decisions.

"Six-thirty already?" I exclaimed upon checking the time again, a sense of urgency flooding over me. Hastily, I rummaged through my closet and grabbed the first dress I could find, throwing it on with little regard for style. A few quick adjustments to my hair and a light application of makeup later, I accessorized with simple black earrings and a matching purse and heels.

"Mom!" I called out as I rushed downstairs to the kitchen, greeted by the comforting aroma of freshly brewed coffee and toast. My mother beamed at me, proud of my early rising.

"My dear Princess, up bright and early. I was just about to bring you breakfast," she said with a warm smile, offering me a cup of coffee.

"Thanks, Mom," I replied, taking a sip before explaining my begrudging acceptance of the work proposition. "I didn't exactly agree to this work arrangement, but considering the turmoil I've caused in this family, and because I love you, I'll go along with it."

A soft smile spread across my mother's face, and I leaned in to kiss her cheek before heading out the door. "Goodbye, Mom."

"Well, this place looks just as I expected," I muttered to myself as I parked my Benz in the visitors' lot

"Good morning, ma'am. Welcome to Obatola Construction Company. How may I assist you?" greeted the receptionist, her name tag identifying her as Ms. Scarlett. I offered a polite smile in return.

"Good morning, Ms. Scarlett," I acknowledged. "I'm here to see Mr. Sylvester Obatola. I believe he's expecting me."

"I'll need to confirm, ma'am," she replied, dialing through the intercom to reach Sylvester.

"May I confirm your name, please?" she whispered into the phone.

"Regina Allen."

"Please proceed through this elevator," she instructed, pointing towards the left. "Go to the 16th floor. You'll meet Mr. Obatola's personal assistant; she'll guide you to his office." With a grateful nod, I followed her directions.

"Now, where is this P.A.?" I sighed, eyeing the bright red designer handbag on the desk. How was I supposed to identify the boss's office? I approached the first door on my right and smiled upon seeing Sylvester's name engraved on it. Typical Sylvester. Just as I reached for the doorknob, an annoying voice interrupted me.

"Who are you and what are you doing here?" The lady in the revealing red dress demanded, causing me to raise an eyebrow at her attire.

"Will you stare at me all day or answer my questions?" she snapped, her tone abrasive.

"Regina Allen. And you are?" I responded calmly, despite her rudeness.

"Patricia Adeniyi, Sylvester's personal assistant," she replied curtly before opening the office door.

"Pat, I need you to take the brown files on the shelf and go through all the documents, ensuring they're error-free before sending them to our investors. I won't tolerate any more mistakes that could lead to your dismissal," Sylvester instructed without sparing us a glance.

"Sylvester, I assure you, that mistake won't happen again," Patricia responded with a smile, glancing at me before exiting the office with the files. Confused by their interaction, I decided to rile him up.

"Who would've thought that an arrogant man like you would be involved with his own employee?" I remarked sweetly, earning a glare from Sylvester as he snapped his head up.

"You're a pervert," I retorted, annoyed by his arrogance.

Ignoring my accusation, he sighed deeply. "You're ten minutes late, and as I've stated before, I don't tolerate tardiness. Explain."

I snapped, "I don't owe you any explanation"

He leaned back in his chair, handing me an ID card with my face and name on it. "You'll spend two weeks rotating through every department."

"This has to be a joke," I protested incredulously.

"No, Cindy, it's your punishment for stealing my drink and being sassy," he stated matter-of-factly, a smirk playing on his lips.

I scoffed. "You've got to be kidding me."

"Cindy, this is the only way for you to familiarize yourself with the employees and understand our operations here," he explained, his gaze unwavering.

"I'm Regina, not Cindy."

"Cindy is short for Cinderella," he quipped.

"I'm aware."

"Reports on your performance will be sent to me, and you're needed at the finance department right now," he informed me.

I searched his expression for any sign of sarcasm, but found none. He was dead serious about this job, all because I stole his drink. I didn't even know it belonged to him.

"Sylvester, I can buy another wine. Just tell me the name. Please withdraw this proposal. I can't work here," I pleaded.

"Can't or won't work, Cindy?" he countered.

I remained silent, feeling uncomfortable at the prospect of being around people who would undoubtedly gossip about my failed wedding. It was the very reason I'd secluded myself in my room for two months.

kindly vote and leave your comment on this chapter

Thank you!!! 😘