Chapter 4: Karate

Kimberly, Trini and I pulled up to the youth center after about 5 minutes.

"So, what exactly is this place for?" I asked in hopes that I could find somewhere to work on my Thai chi.

"Its just really a place for teens to hang out and be active. There's workout equipment, Karate classes, a gymnastic bar and a smoothie shop." Kimberly said as we stepped inside, the cool air being a refreshing change from the humid air outside.

"The Karate classes are taught by our friend Jason. He's a great teacher." Trini says at we walk through another doorway to see a smoothie bar with training equipment just past it, there was a Karate class of about 20 people there as well.

"So, who are you here to meet? You said you where gonna meet a friend here." Trini asked with her head slightly tilted to the left.

"I'm supposed to meet with Tommy Oliver, he offered to hang out and let me meet his friends here." I told the to monochrome girls as I looked around the training area for the boy in white from earlier today.

"Really?! He one of our friends! He said he invited someone else to hangout with us but I didn't know he was talking about you!" Kimberly said with wide eyes looking at me. Trini then looked around and spotted Tommy at the weights working out and started pulling Kim and I along.

"Hey Tommy! Look who we found!" She stepped aside to show me. Tommy looks up and when he saw me a smile broke out across his face.

"Fox! Glad you made it! I see you've met Kim and Trini already." He said as he put his weights back and got up. I looked at him amused that he actually didn't start rambling again.

"I see your ramblings have went away." I said with a small smirk as his face and ears started to turn red, he reached up and scratched his neck with a sheepish smile.

"Yea, I don't know why I did that, sorry." He said as the two girls behind me started smiling and giggling to each other while observing us.

"It is alright, I've made a grown man shake in his boots when he tried to mug me. It's only natural to feel nervous in front of me." I said casually as the three around me stared in shock and slight horror in the girls cases. I just shrugged and looked around again.

"You're a lot less shy then you were in class, don't get me wrong! I think it great that your being yourself but it just kinda surprise me." Tommy said as he got over his shock with a small chuckle. I chuckled and looked over to see the Karate class practicing straight kick only to see one student didn't have his planted leg straight, I held a finger up to Tommy as an 'hang on' gesture and I walked up to the Karate class and approach the person.

"Your doing it wrong, you need to keep your planted leg straight and lock it in place. Otherwise," I hook my foot around the back of his knee and push on the back of it thus making him easily fall to the ground as I quickly pulled my foot away.

"Your opponent can knock you down very easily and you will lose or get hurt." I finish as the boy gets up. The boy nodded and then does another straight kick, this time locking his knee straight and I clap. "Much better." I walked back over to Tommy and the girls as they stared at me.

"What? I know martial arts." I said to them with a shrug.

"Okay, how about we get smoothies while we wait for the others to get here?" Kimberly suggested as Trini and I nodded.

"I think I'm gonna workout a little more. I'll be over there in 10 minutes or so." Tommy said to us as he turned back to the weights.

"Alright, just don't push your self too hard, tommy." Trini joked making Tommy smile. We walked over to the smoothie bar and ordered our smoothies when Kimberly's face broke out into a smile as she waved someone over.

"Billy! Zack over here!" I turned around when she said Billy and immediately smile.

"Ah, hello Billy! It would appear I was invited to hangout with your friends so I will get to take you up on your offer it seems." I said as my accent slightly thickened from enjoyment. Billy walked up to us with a black boy behind him and smile at me with a little wave.

"Hey! It would appear so Fox! This is Zack, Zack this is Fox." Billy said as he introduced me to his dark skinned friend.

"Very nice to meet you Zack, I believe the only person I need to meet now would be, um, oh what was it? Oh! Yes, Yason! Unless you have anyone else I need to meet?" I asked to which they shook their heads until I heard a cough behind me.

"Its actually Jason," I turned around to see the Karate teacher aka boy in red with Tommy. "Its nice to meet you Fox, Tommy's told me a bit about you! And thanks for helping one of my students with their straight kick, he just couldn't quite get it right." Jason said as he and Tommy ordered themselves a smoothie. Tommy sat down beside me on the counter while Jason sat on a stool next to Zack.

"You are welcome but I'm better at Thai Chi, the learning process is calmer then Karate and it can help with defenses of the body and the mind, as well as helping with your energy. I just took Karate so I would have a wider range of martial arts." I told him as I looked him in the eyes causing him to flinch back.

"Your eyes are um,... ah,.." He trailed off, not knowing what to say.

"Interesting? Weird? Unusual? Strange? Don't worry, I know. You will not offend me by saying it. No people have the same vibrantly colored eyes as me. I'm used to people staring so I don't mind." I told him with a small smile. "My eyes weren't always this vibrant, but that's a long story for another time." I said to try and change the subject but I clearly perked their interest. Just then, a strange beep sounded and the others became nervous.