🚙2💗

On the road, Steven lets out a sigh while listening to a track of Sadie Killer and the Suspects. The memory of the band washes a nostalgic feeling over him.
"As scary as it can be, change is good," he tells himself.
The sky is dark for late afternoon. The clouds completely block out the sun, making Steven use his headlights.
"How'd it get so dark?" Steven asks himself. The sound of thunder booms in the sky.
"Oh boy, I should probably pull over somewhere..." Steven is in the middle of nowhere, somewhere in the desert. There isn't any shelter to where he can park. Suddenly, what sounds like flatulence comes from the back of the car. The car shakes and rattles, causing Steven to stop the vehicle. The teen comes out of the car, slipping on his pink jacket to avoid being soaked. He looks at both his back tires to find one of them had popped.
"Is this what Garnet meant? Gah, I shoulda checked before coming out here!" the teen pulls his face.
Steven sits back in the car to wait for the storm to blow over.

Not much time later, the storm is pouring down on the empty desert, Steven half asleep.
I wonder what the gems are up to, he thinks. I hope they're doing well. I wish there was service out here so I could video-call them.
Steven reaches to the back seat and pulls out a blanket. The boy snuggles in the soft, blue sheet.
As much as I try to forget about her, I'm still curious about what it'd be like if Mom was still around. Would she be cruel as she was to Spinel? Or would she be tender as she was to Pearl and Dad? If she could see me, what would she think of me?
Steven remembers what Rose said on her video tape: "Every moment that you love being yourself, that me loving you and loving being you."
Rose Quartz said lots of things, some things being lies. She lied about who she was: Pink Diamond of the Diamond authorities. She lied to Spinel, tricking her so she could leave the loyal gem behind. And she lied to her "mothers" by faking her shattering.
Steven couldn't be sure what to think about her. In the end, she might just be "human" somehow: humans make lots of mistakes and bad decisions. Steven reflected this with how he thought of himself: as a monster. He's still working on this issue, and thankfully he got a therapist for it.

The rain came down with a thump in each drop. Steven was almost sure it wasn't even raining water. He was reminded of the time there was a big storm and Peridot was convinced it was the Cluster emerging from the earth.
It's just thunder, Steven repeated what he said to the green, triangular gem.
The thunderclaps shook the car, Steven's only shelter at the moment. It had been more than an hour now.
If Lapis was here, maybe she could collect the clouds' water and dump it all in the ocean. The boy giggled at the thought.
The gusts of wind striking the car nearly tips it off the wheels. "That's not good," Steven mutters as he grips the edges of his seat. The wind pushes the car off its balance and the car stands on its side, Steven hanging on tight. "Oh gosh, this is bad," the boy breathes deep, trying to think. I could bubble myself and run for shelter? No, that would take too long. Maybe I can float outta here? Okay, but where would I go once I'm out? I can't do much with my shield...
A great gust sweeps up the car and it tumbles along the dirt, Steven gripping on for dear life.
Steven's head hits the windshield.
Everything fades to black.