Four

Saiyans always fought viciously. That wasn't anything new. However, the look in Vegeta's eyes was something Goku had not seen in a long time.

It started off as their usual base spar before escalating as Vegeta became more erratic and aggressive. His hair flared into a golden color and Goku followed suit.

It's not that he minded the ferocity too much, it was that look.

Those piercing eyes that seared into his soul. The fangs bared as he threw his fists in Goku's direction. He hadn't seen that in so long.

Not since Babidi had taken his mind, in fact.

Vegeta snarled as his fist collided with the metal and crunched beneath his knuckles- frustrated it was not his rival's nose.

"Vegeta," Goku began while keeping himself from being struck so forcefully, "I think that's enough for today."

The smaller man was sweating and panting in spite of the spar not even being too long. He shook his head and continued swinging. Goku grimaced and dodged a kick aiming for his head.

"Vegeta," his tone was much more stern this time, "I said that's enough. You're getting sloppy."

Vegeta gave an audible hiss and leaned towards the other man in an attempt to grab his throat and wrestle him to the ground.

"Vegeta! Stop it stop! I didn't mean it!"

The begging and gasping rang in his ears. He stared at Goku with wide eyes as they fought for dominance.

"Vegeta! Get off of him! He didn't mean for it to happen! Stop!"

Vegeta was gasping now. Almost hyperventilating as he jerked violently from Goku's grip. The earth's savior stared in horror as his rival struggled. He jumped and attempted to keep him pinned to the floor.

"Vegeta! That's enough! You need to calm down!"

"Vegeta! That's enough! You're going to kill him!"

He was staring down at the large man on Frieza's ship. Raditz' face was turning an unsettling purple with blood splattered across his nose and mouth. Nappa was struggling to get the prince off of the other saiyan.

"Don't tell me to calm down you idiot! It's all your fault!" Vegeta screamed hatefully, he saw someone else- not Goku. A ghost of a partner from the past.

"V-Vegeta, I'm sorry." He'd choked out.

"Shut up Radtiz!"

Goku stared down at Vegeta in disbelief. Vegeta met his gaze as he finally came back to the present. Hot tears were filling his eyes but he refused to let them fall.

Goku lifted off of the smaller man and returned to his base form as he felt Vegeta calm down. Vegeta was far from calm, however,  just not raging.

"Vegeta-" He began quietly.

"Don't." Vegeta's hair returned to the dark auburn color and he did not meet Goku's gaze. He stood and held himself as he walked towards the door.

Goku stood up quickly and took a small dash towards him before gently resting his hand on Vegeta's shoulder. He felt him flinch under his hand.

"You can talk to me. Vegeta, about anything." He spoke steadily but still in a cautious tone, "You know that, right? I know we're rivals and everything, but we're friends too."

The prince growled and slapped the hand away from his shoulder before meeting Goku's eyes finally. Vegeta's were red from the burning tears of guilt and embarrassment.

"Stop it. Stop saying that." He hissed in a low and deadly tone. "I do not wish to speak to you on anything, personal or otherwise. Speak of this and I'll rip out your tongue."

Goku pulled his hand away. Of course Vegeta had threatened him before- but this was different. It sent a sick feeling to his stomach and a lump rested in his throat. Before he could even open his mouth Vegeta had started out of the gravity room. He only heard the tapping of his boots down the hallway as Goku looked to the shattered steel on the wall.