Volume 1 Chapter 10: Impervious Resolution

"I refuse," Reina said.

Their Producer ran her hand through her dark hair, combing the end of it carefully. "I know this is sudden, but the three of you need to trust me on this decision."

"When you scouted me, you told me I'd be able to perform at the top soon. This group won't do that."

"That's a little early to say."

"Is it? One of these girls is never on time and the other one can't perform in front of a crowd."

Hana looked away after that comment, looking down at her shoes. Reina probably didn't know that part of the reason why she had messed up in the first place was because of the overwhelming presence she had given off as they passed each other.

"That's because your definition of 'on time' is over an hour early," Akari spoke up.

"I would rather be working with more professional people than what you've given me," Reina ignored the girl who had just spoken to her.

"Producer-san," Hana said, interrupting the two. "Why did you choose to put the three of us together? It's not like I've ever worked with Fukuyama-san before."

Their Producer sat back in their chair. "Simply put, I think this unit can bring out the best in each other."

"How so, if you could be inclined to tell us?" Reina said. Normally she was much more courteous with talking to her superiors, but it seemed this situation had broken past her ability to stay polite.

"The three of you are bound together through your interactions with Watanabe-san," the Producer turned her monitor to face the three of them.

A click from her mouse started to play a recording from the NeoStars very first appearance on stage as part of 765, with Reina and Akari both dancing to Sayoko Takayama's song. Hana was immediately taken back to that moment as she watched the two, reliving the fierce competition they had between each other despite only being back up dancers.

"The two of you push each other to do better. I think we can use this rivalry to help you improve," the Producer continued. She then looked at Hana, who did her best to maintain eye contact. "Meanwhile with Kanagawa-san, I can tell that the two of you are already very close to each other. Am I correct in saying this?"

"It's true," Hana responded. If anything, she was relieved to be working with Akari more. They were both good friends, and the redhead had already saved one of her performances in the past.

"And who is going to be the center for this unit?" Reina asked.

"Three of you will need to make that decision," their Producer responded. "The Supernova Project won't have an official concert until every group has received a CD release, so until then, you will be performing in mini-lives.

"How long do we have until our first performance?"

"In a few weeks, the first three units will be making a live television appearance. It's enough time for every unit to get acquainted with each other and also prepare their acts for the live. Your personal songs will be coming in the next week or so, depending on how long the composer and lyricists will take."

Hana looked over to her left, seeing Reina with her arms crossed in her seat. While she didn't seem angry at the situation, the girl definitely seemed to be displeased.

"We will do our best," Akari said.

"I also plan on having girls appear on other events such as variety shows and meet and greets to serve as promotion for this concert, including the three of you."