Volume 1 Chapter 15: My Best Friend

Hana first met Ayaka at a talent search in Nagoya.

She was only 13 back then. That day, she was sitting in the back of the performance hall's lobby, taking advantage of a seat by the window to be able to see the pages she was reading. Her mom had done her hair for her that day, where it rested in a low, pink ponytail that was folded in on itself. At the moment, she was sitting down and reading a romance novel by herself as she waited for her number to be called.

Three shadows suddenly blocked out the sunlight and made it harder for her to see the next line on the page.

"What's going on here?" someone said to her.

Hana looked up. For some reason, a group of three other girls was now standing over her. They all looked two or three years older than her. Like Hana, they all had a sticker with a number on it attached to somewhere on their outfits.

"Can you move please?" she asked them. "I'm trying to read."

"Look at her, she's not even focused on the audition," the one to the left, a blonde with pigtails said.

"Do you even care about the competition?" the first girl asked her. She had dark red hair in a braid.

"Not really," Hana responded. She tried to move and get a better angle to see her book from.

"She's not even trying," the third girl scoffed. She looked like she was related to the blonde, except that her hair was loose and held neatly with a headband.

The redhead grabbed the book out of Hana's hands. "What are you reading, anyway?"

"Hey!" Hana yelled.

"Is that a romance book?" the girl with pigtails asked, looking to see what her friend was holding. "It's called The River of Love."

"That's so lame!"

"Please give it back," Hana said to them. She stood up to try and take her book back, but she found out that she was a lot shorter than all of them. When she tried to jump to grab it, the redhead would just raise her hands out of reach.

"Look how tiny she is! You guys should feel bad for bullying a kid," the girl with a headband said.

"She must be barely old enough to be in this competition," pigtails said.

"Go away!" she yelled at them. "Just give me my book back!"

"Are you gonna cry?" the redhead asked. "That's not very idol-like of you."

The longer the other girls laughed at her, the more Hana got frustrated about getting in this situation, to begin with. Her parents had sent her to the talent scout with a promise of going to the bookstore after. She would have much rather spent the day at home instead.

As Hana looked around to find an adult to complain to, she saw something come flying through the air and hit the redhead in her back.

"Ow!"

"Mind your own business!" another girl yelled from behind them. She walked over to them with uneven steps as she went to retrieve her sneaker from the ground.

"Did you just throw that at me?" the redhead asked her.

"I'll throw the other shoe if you don't stop bothering her," the stranger said.

The new girl was probably around the same age as the others. She was dressed in a pair of shorts and an off-shoulder shirt, while her chocolate-brown hair reached the nape of her neck. A sticker with the number 84 was attached to her shirt sleeve.