Volume 1 Chapter 12: Daydreaming Bookworm Girl

"This looks interesting."

Hana stood on her tiptoes to grab a book that she hadn't seen before off of the shelf, opening it up to read its description.

"Fractured World," she read the title out loud. "The novelization of the popular drama by 765 Productions..."

Looking at the cover, she saw the stylized silhouettes of two girls standing back to back. One of them had a traditional Chinese dress and wielded lightning while the other wore a futuristic black and white jacket and held a glowing orange sword. It looked like an interesting mixture, and it was also cool to discover something new featuring girls from her company, even if they weren't in the Supernova Project.

A question appeared in Hana's mind, something she noticed was more dubious than the juxtaposition of science and magic.

"Why is this in the romance section?" she asked herself. She put it into the growing basket of novels she had started accumulating after first entering the store, intending to eventually ask the owner or his wife if they had just misplaced the book.

Today, she was in charge of her own schedule. It was her first free day since her Producer declared she would be in a unit with Akari and Reina, and they subsequently practiced every day together for the remainder of the week. Today was an exception, where the other two were assigned to do different jobs for the company.

That left her with an entirely free Saturday afternoon. She had originally intended to pick up a new diary at her local bookstore. It was a small, quiet shop owned by an older couple with plenty of book selections, and she quickly ended up getting sidetracked by the new arrivals section. And after that, she ran into the young adult section. And then she found the romance section after that...

As she walked towards the stationery section of the bookstore, she ran into another girl in the store holding a stack of books in her arm.

"Ah, I'm sorry!" Hana said. She hadn't run into the other girl hard enough to knock them over, but one of the books they were carrying slipped out of her grasp and hit the ground.

"I'll get that," they both said.

"It's fine," Hana tried to clarify. "I knocked it over in the first place."

She picked up the book from the ground, finding that the last book she picked up had d fallen to the ground. She went to put it back in her basket, but her copy was already in there.

"That's mine, actually," the other girl said softly.

"Oh, we picked up the same book," Hana responded. She stood up to hand over the book to the stranger, who looked back at her with curious yellow eyes.

"Have I seen you before?" the other girl asked.

Now that she mentioned it, something about this girl's appearance seemed familiar. The short-blue hair that wasn't covered by a black baseball hat fell down to her shoulders, while most of her face was obscured by a white face mask. Being unable to see her entire face only made her yellow irises even more noticeable.

Hana just couldn't place a finger on how she recognized her.

"Do you go to my school?" Hana responded. "I'm sorry that I don't recognize you."

"By any chance, do you work for 765 Productions?"

"Huh?"

The girl leaned in to get a closer look at her. They were around the same height, meaning that she didn't have to lean in very much to get a better look. "You're Kanagawa Hana, aren't you?"

"You know my name?"

"Of course I do!" the other girl leaned back to look around the aisles of the bookstore. Hana followed her gaze, seeing there weren't many people around, especially with this small of a store. The other girl looked back at her, pulling down her facemask. "You sang my song last week! I'm sorry I'm meeting you so late, but I had schoolwork on the day of the concert."