Meeting People

*Renae*

I creepily stare after Regan and Aleks as they walk off into the store, chatting as they went.  I lean back against the register and blow a piece of hair out of my face.  I hated cashier duty because, from experience whenI myself was a cashier, you had to be a people person, which I wasn't. Pls you had to work a cash register fluently, which I obviously cannot do.  Restocking items, however, was way more entertaining.  People just carry on with their conversations as if I'm not there, which allows me to witness some of the funniest discussions. 

After not getting any customers in my lane for a while, I grumble and check the time on my phone.  Almost time to leave. I thought as I pushed myself away from he register and open it up with a ching and begin counting the money, desperate for something to do.

"Oooh, what do we have here?  Renae doing Regan's job for her again?" A nasally voice snobbily asks from behind me.

I groan and turn around, rolling my eyes at Shane's smug facial expression.  "Yes, in fact, I am taking over her job because, unlike you, she can actually get a date."  Tha wasn't entirely true, I wasn't sure if Regan and Aleks were dating or not.  I hated insulting people based on their social status but no one insults my best friend without consequences except for me. 

"It'd be a shame if Regan were to get reported." He trails off and walks around to stand in front of the conveyor belt.  Now he had my attention, and he knew it too, for his stupid mouth curled up in a devious grin.

"Say you go out with me Friday to save your friend's job?"  His attempt to lean across the belt in order to be seductive fails, as he presses the button to move the belt.  He yelps and jumps away, cradling his brush burned arm with his other hand.  I clamp my tattooed hand over my mouth to stifle my laughter and Shane scowls at me. 

"Be in the parking lot by 5 o' clock Friday.  You ditch me and I'll make sure Regan's job ditches her." He stalks away, still holding his arm.

What an evil little man.  Great, now I have a date with a devil spawn.  I watch as Regan walks past again and out the door, only this time she's with a few other boys and Aleks and they're carrying two of our sixty-three inch bears we just got in stock.

I once again lean back and cringe at the thought of where the devil spawn would take me.  Just when the thoughts are to the point of making me sick, Regan comes running up to me.

"How'd you do over here?" She asks me, reaching over the counter and into the shelf beneath it, her hand emerging with her hoodie.

I shrug and exit the small space, "no customers."

She furrows her eyebrows andopens her mouth but closes it when she looks up, only for her to look backat me with an amused expression.

"Renae, the light's been off the whole time."  I follow her pointing finger upward.

"Whoops."

•After work•

Once we enter our apartment I head straight to the kitchen to relieve my mind of Shane via candy whilst Regan pulls out her phone and goes off to most likely talk to Aleks.  Love birds, I tell you.  I indulge myself with Twizzlers until Regan enters the living room and flicks on the TV to watch Spongebob.