It'll Be Alright

"So that's what happened.." David smiled a bit, but it wasn't like any other smiles. This one was a sad smile. He had just finished telling the policeman about the other day when the two boys went out of the house and when David helped Max after a nightmare. He had told the cop everything that had happened since Max arrived at his house.

The policeman had paused, giving a slight look of confusion at the man before writing down something on the notepad in his hand, then put it down. "Okay, we're gonna need you and this 'Gwen' to come by to the police station later today to give us more information about the case? Do you know where she is?"

"Yes, she is on her way over here right now." David replied.

"Good, make sure to inform her about this meeting."

"Yes sir." David said, in a upset tone. He looked behind the cop talking to him and saw a policewoman bringing Max into the police car. Max had an emotionless face on him. Once the boy was in the car, he looked out the closed window, but refused to look at David. The boy just put his head against the window. David had never felt so guilty before in his life.

The cop had gave David the exact time and location for the meeting. The policeman left the porch and made his way towards the police car.
Then both the boys separated. The car that Max was in had left and David had stepped back inside his house. The man closed the door behind him and leaned his back against the door.

'Did I do the right thing? Was it really what was best for the him?'

After questioning his recent actions, he finally thought it'd be good if he rested. He entered his bedroom, but only to notice the things that Max had left behind. The boy's stuffed animal had sat on David's bed. The man had sat down next to it thinking to himself, 'I messed up..'

   ~

The boy felt no emotion anymore. He feels both angry and sad deep down, but at the same time he couldn't feel it. He felt numb and empty. He was physically and mentally tired, but he couldn't sleep. He didn't want to be sent to an orphanage, but where else was he supposed go? Nobody wants him. Nobody cares about him. The boy even tried to escape the car while it was driving, but the door was locked. He was just going to have to deal with it. The boy couldn't help but tear up. He used his shoulder to wipe away his small tears. He could really use his best friends comfort right now. 'Great, I forgot Mr. Honeynuts..' Max realized he forgot all of his stuff back at that house where the idiot that likes camping lives. Not even his own stuffed bear was there for him.  Max hugged his legs instead, putting it against his chest. He sighed sadly. He tried to forget what just happened back at the house, but it would not leave his mind.

///

"But you don't want me either.." Max said, "You're just like my parents.."

David had to admit, it hurt him inside when the boy said that. "No, no, no, It's not like that. I really do care for you-" David tried to explain as he reached out to put his hand on the boys shoulder. Max took a step back, avoiding his hand. The man put his arm away, getting the message that the boy doesn't want his contact. So the man just shut his mouth. The boy's trust for him disappeared.

/End of short flashback/

"-so that's what happened.." David finished explaining the story once again. He tried to say in a cheery voice, yet it sounded sad. Also tired, he had took a short nap before Gwen had showed up and is still very sleepy.

"...shit." Gwen said.

They were both sitting on the couch. Gwen arrived four minutes ago, wearing a casual purple jacket, some leggings, boots, and some glasses. She didn't have time to put in her contact lenses. She looked over at the tired man, laying his head on the palm of him hand with a sad face.