The gift

☆☆•~He who receives a gift does not measure it~•☆☆

I was enveloped in darkness, memories of the night I closed my eyes were buzzing in the back of my mind and yet all I could think of was Makhosi's confession."I love you." His words were engraved in me, deep into the flesh of my heart and he had meant it.

The door creaked open, someone was here and by the soft thudding of footsteps, I could tell it was Azile. Her small hand lifted my right arm as the wet cloth gently dabbed against my skin. Her soft voice drowned my ears."My Queen, I know you can hear me." She sounded confident and yet I couldn't ignore the lingering sense of doubt in her words.

"Mazimele, the healer says that its a miracle you even survived the attack but I know that you're going to wake up soon." She continued, the wet cloth was now gently wiping my face.

"The king isn't coping well with this, my queen. He refuses to eat anything, surviving only on freshly brewed beer. He spends his days blaming himself for what happened to you and his nights are spent sitting here with you in hopes that you'll awake from your deep slumber." She explained to me, worry was clearly woven into her words. Makhosi's suffering caused pain to pierce through my heart, he cared and he meant his words. He did love me.

The realisation caused strength to pulsate down my spine, awakening my sleeping muscles and breathing purpose into my soul. My eyes peeled open revealing Azile's warm features, her frown had been broken into a large smile as she threw her arms around me. "My queen," she managed to breathe out as her ebony coloured eyes brimmed with tears. "We missed you."she beamed. Her eyes widened in excitement before she lossened her deathly grip around me. "I must tell the king and Mazimele. Forgive me, my queen I must go." With that said she sprang to the door her feet slapping against the slab.

Minutes later, an elderly woman entered the hut, the beads around her neck clattered against each other her feather like crown told me that she was the healer. "The ancestors have deemed you fit as queen, they will not take until you have given." She pointed out, her words were carefully selected as if she'd seen something she shouldn't have.

Her wrinkled fingers grasped mine, her eyes were a stormy grey colour that were hypnotising. "My queen, please lift your legs." She instructed me, her gaze still holding my eyes in place. My legs immediately elevated themselves as if her word was enchanting me."You are the gift, the ancestors gift." Recognition clouded her eyes as she grinned.

"What do you mean?" I questioned, confusion causing me to scrunch my face up. She nodded in response causing the the feathers to sway in her movement.

Makhosi bursted through the door, his eyes frantically searching for mine. His muscular chest was heaving as he tried to catch his breath. Shock was etched in his eyes as he headed towards me, his hand stretching for mine. "My queen, my beautiful Nehoreka." I hadn't realised how much I had missed his deep baritone voice. His muscular arms enveloped me into a hug, I felt the warmth caress every inch of my body causing butterflies to flutter in my stomach.

I pulled back allowing my eyes to examine his face, dark circles had formed around his bloodshot eyes , the shock that was in eyes was now replaced by guilt which caused piercing pain to plunge through my heart. Azile was right he wasn't coping well, infact he was barely surviving without me which brought me some comfort he needed me just as much as I need him.

"Makhosi, I'm here." The words tumbled out of my lips unconsciously causing his stiff posture to relax as he gently pulled me closer into his chest.

"I thought that I lost you." He murmured whilst he shook his head resulting in Mazimele and Azile leaving us. The harsh cold bitting my skin as he withdrew himself from me. "It's best you rest,my queen."He spoke as he headed over to the sleeping mat and thin blanket that was far from the bed.

"Makhosi, please don't leave me." Fear rippled through me as the memories of the attack surfaced, the cold blade resting against my neck. His warmth drew me out of the horrid memory as his body was gently pressed against mine, for once I felt protected. "I won't ever leave you." His husky voice caused the butterflies to flutter once again as his words stuck with me. His solemn promise to me.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Hello beautiful muffins, please comment and vote.

Love from

Maniac_lunatic