with revenge and doubt

anne had felt herself move before she could even properly register diana's words.

it's gilbert, anne, somethings wrong

anne could feel herself running through the town picturing what could be wrong.

had he come to tell her he no longer wished to court?

did something happen to fred- maybe bash or delphine?

is he here to yell at me more?

why could be wrong?

***

it hadn't taken her long to reach her dormitory and it took her even less time to spot gilbert on the porch. his hands were running through his curls, shaky breaths being exhaled.

"gil?" she said in a soft tone to try to get him to calm down. she kneeled in front of him, getting in his line of vision before adding, "gil, can you look at me please?"

his eyes finally found hers and that's when she saw that something had truly been wrong. his face was lacking any sort of color and seemed to be caving in by his cheeks a tad. his eyes didn't hold to the light they once did, only sadness.

anne had saw this expression only twice with gilbert. first when his father died and second when he had told mary she was due for death as well.

"gil" she started again, this time her hand finding his sunken cheek, "what's wrong?"

"anne- i'm sorry, i'm so sorry" he said with even shakier breaths, tears now streaming down his face.

"gilbert honey, you're scaring me, what's wrong?"

she noticed that he took a deep breath before leading her to sit next to him instead, "anne, the girl from the cafe wasn't a friend"

"who was she gilbert?" she said, her tone beginning to turn ice cold again.

"she the nurse at my doctors office" he said looking down, almost ashamed.

"did you-"

he was sure to quickly interrupt her with a small, "no" but his eyes were still holding something back.

"gil, what are you not telling me?"

"i'm dying anne"

as soon as the words left his mouth, anne could feel her entire body go into shock.

it was as if time had stopped and his words were the only thing he could hear.

she could see his lips moving as he tried to explain his disease but it was no use. all she heard was;

he's dying

he's leaving you

that means you'll never get married to him

that means you'll never grow old with him

that means you'll never have a future with him in it

that means you are losing the love of your life

"anne?" he said trying to get her to look at him, "anne please say something"

"how long have you known?" she said, choking back the tears she refused to let free.

with another shaky breath he responded, "i've known i was sick- for a month now? and i have only just found how bad my- condition- was yesterday"

it was then when she finally let the tears stream down her face, "gil, i- i don't wanna lose you"

sadly for anne, his condition was a bad one and death was inevitable. he didn't have longer than a week more in him, but she didn't need to know that right now.

gilbert slowly reached out to touch the girls cheek, careful not to make any abrupt movements, as if she'd break further.

when he finally looked into her eyes, he could see the hurt that was filling in them. he hated that he was the reason for it.

"i don't wanna leave either"

the two sat there for a long time, studying each other's features as if it were the last time they would see each other. tears still streaming down both of their faces.

so guessed who cried while writing this? your favorite author did!

yeah anyways i'm sorry for being evil-