13: Panem et Circenses (Lorelei)

A/N: While waiting for #ProjectLOKI Chapter 45, let's check how our beloved detectives are doing during the campus lockdown!

LORELEI

LORELEI

THE NEWS about the student council's alleged incompetence was posted in every bulletin board in the campus. Since our student publication cannot print using the machines of their publisher, they had to resort to tried and tested methods.

The council's response may not be perfect, but hey! Isn't it too early to conduct a survey? First day pa lang ng lockdown, nagtanong na agad ang mga alagad ni Augustus kung kumusta ang service. I found that unfair on our part.

We still haven't fully accepted the fact that we would be stuck in the campus for two weeks. We sorely miss the comfort of our beds back at home. Things are changing. Emotions are running high. How do you expect the students to give a rational answer on whether they are satisfied or not?

Kung hindi ako part ng execom at isa lamang akong normal na estudyante, I would have answered the same. Kung hindi ko alam ang efforts ng student council para matugunan ang mga pangangailangan ng mga estudyante, I would have complained about the response as well.

No one saw this coming. No one was fully prepared for the lockdown. What's important is that our student leaders are trying to do their best.

Unprecedented times like what we are experiencing right now require cooperation from all students, but Augustus had another idea in mind. Hindi ko alam kung ano ang agenda niya, pero hindi nakatutulong sa amin ang kanyang ginagawa. I'm a fan of freedom of the campus press, but he should be more sensitive and cautious of what he and his team are publishing. He might be stoking a fire that can consume us all.

Maybe he wanted the students to stand up against the student council? Maybe he wanted to spark a coup?

We heard from Margarette the next morning about the threat of a coup against the student government. Seriously, bakit ba may mga ganitong pumapasok na idea sa isip ng iilan sa amin? People would only consider a coup if they're dissatisfied with how things are being done or if they want to take control of the administration.

"The Clarion's article is only helping the coup plotters, whoever they are," Alistair said, gently caressing his chin. "Kapag nagpatuloy sila sa pambabatikos sa efforts ng student council, mas mapapaniwala ang ilang estudyante na palpak ang admin natin. The coup will then have legitimacy."

We convened in the execom office after taking our breakfast in the school gymnasium. Kagaya kahapon, lugaw na naman ang kinain namin. More students were starting to complain about the food. I hope that they'd be more considerate of the situation. Hindi pa dumarating ang mga food supply mula sa labas. Kailangan muna naming tiisin kung ano ang meron kami ngayon.

"Unfortunately, fools readily believe what they read without even questioning it," Loki said, folding the Clarion's news sheet into a paper plane. "If Augustus or the Clarion publishes that eating bananas can fight the virus, the people will flock to the stores to buy a bunch. In response, the stores will raise the prices due to the laws of supply and demand."