21: He Who Hates Legwork (Luthor)

A/N: Here's to the start of a new story arc! Let's check on Luthor and the student council.

LUTHOR

UNEASY LIES the head that wears a crown. I've read that line from the Shakespearean play "Henry IV." If you have not heard of this masterpiece, it is merely a historical tale that later on involves a battle between the King's party and the rebels.

I must admit that I'm not a huge fan of the English playwright, but if you'd ask for my preference on which of his plays I like the most, I say "Macbeth." That line from "Henry IV" only crossed my mind because of the heavy burden that's now on the shoulders of the student council.

Some may think that being an officer of the highest student organization is easy. Only those who have not realized how challenging it is to run a kingdom would have that thought. Yes, the prestige of being part of the student council has its own perks. We have our own office. We can cut in lines. But with these perks come major duties and responsibilities that we must fulfill.

We were prepared for storms, fires and earthquakes. But we were not prepared for something so unprecedented. This pandemic caught us off guard.

As soon as the school president informed us that the school would be put in lockdown to protect the students from contracting the virus outside, I knew that the burden would be heavy that it might break our backs. He granted the student council the authority to oversee the welfare of the students during the lockdown.

Yes, we have been leading the student body since the start of the school year, but we have not led them in this type of situation. There's no blueprint for this pandemic. This is an unchartered territory. We must swim across the ocean even though we have no idea where we are headed.

At first, we thought that keeping the students safe and secured was the only challenge in this scenario. We had to keep them entertained. We had to ease their longingness for their families. But the information volunteered by Stein Alberts hinted that there might be another problem that we had to deal with: a coup. An attempt to overthrow the current student government.

Some students may not be appreciative of the measures we have taken to ensure their safety. They may not like the fact that we forced them to welcome and let their fellow students sleep in their rooms, that we had to feed them with porridge for days, and that we had to impose curfew during the night.

We do not know where the attack is coming, but we know it is coming. That problem could only be solved by smashing the coup before it could materialize or by making the coup plotters give up their plan. And that's my top priority at the moment. We cannot let any irresponsible student take over the administration.

To add another layer to the coup problem, our student publication was not helping at all. Instead of focusing on alleviating the worries of the student body, The Clark Clarion chose to focus their attention on criticizing our performance under the guise of "showing us the cracks so we could fix them." But I know better. Augustus's intention was not to "help us," with the word "help" having another definition in his dictionary. He wanted to smear our efforts and inadvertently support the coup plotters.