3. Chemistry

"Good evening Sir" I greeted dad. He went out before I woke up.

   "Evening Faithe. Come get these things from the car and where to?" He asks

  "To James' house, for my assignment." I replied

  "No. Call him or something." He says with a note of finality.
        Nigerian parents and their wahala sef

       I packed the foodstuff into the house. I wasn't happy because I don't go out at all, I'm always bored and I feel very lonely.

    I can't even visit James, not to talk of Simi and Jola, my other friends. I have other friends but James is my bestie. I'm like a prisoner in one's own house. My life is triangular. Home-> school-> church and continues that way. I'm not gonna cry, I'm a big girl.

    Dad asked me to prepare dinner so I prepared boiled potatoes and eggs. I made sure the potatoes were soft enough. After cooking, I tidied up the  kitchen before serving the food. I served both of us and placed the food on the dining. He was already sitting by the table. We individually said our prayers and started to eat.

     As soon as we were done eating, I packed the plates we used and I washed them immediately.
Dad was still sitting at the table with his phone. I'm not used to talking with him, like really having a full discussion with him. Mom usually helped with that but now, I have to do that myself. I don't have a choice.

       How exactly do you explain to an African parent that you need help? Do Africans even care about the state of their mental health? How do I tell others how I feel or about my nightmares without them thinking I'm  mentally unstable? Everywhere, "seek help." How exactly? All these questions bother me so much that they give me problems. Even if he agrees that I need help, everyone would see me as a psychiatric patient, as the mentally unstable girl. The only person who understands is James.

         I kept stealing glances at him whilst playing with my fingers. I was hoping that he would notice me while I looked at him. Occasionally, I hit the table lightly, he still wouldn't raise his head. I wonder what he was doing on his phone.

    Soon, I got bored of waiting and gave up. I went to my room, I'm probably going to sleep out of boredom. Thank God I can still sleep during the day.

     I got to my room and looked around. The only thing that interested me was the chemistry textbook on my table. I picked up my chemistry textbook to read. What? I told you I was weird. I read my chemistry when I'm angry or bored.
     Oga o.

     I was still bored. I picked up my phone. Nothing. I only have whatsapp and Wattpad. The loneliness of whatsapp did not make me create Facebook, Instagram, snapchat or Twitter. I have other friends o, I'm not a loner but yunno, they are just there. I think we all have them. They are your friends during school period but after like this, they don japa. You'll message "hi" on whatsapp, the next day, it'll show delivered and after, they'll reply at night. I just give up.

   Me: What's up with calculus?
   J: Let's video call to help you block skull.
  M: The fact that I don't understand this stuff doesn't mean you should insult me o. Warn yourself before I start my own
  J: No vex na. Call first

Wahala: trouble
Yunno: you know
Don japa: already out