18. Therapy 3

"Aunty, I'm done." I called out as I padded down the stairs.

     "Good." She collected the paper. "Is the insomnia long or short termed?"

    "Let's say short." I replied.

  "Okay. No need for drugs. What time do you like to sleep and wake up?" She asked.

   "Sleep by 10pm and wake up by 5am. Is it good enough?"

   "Fair enough. Two hours before sleeping, you hand over your phone and go upstairs. No t.v. also." She said.

    "Why? I thought you were helping me not keeping me grounded." I blurted not believing what she said.

       She let out a small laugh. "Honey, let me explain. The blue lights Ray's emitted from electronic devices can hinder or delay the release of sleep inducing melatonin. Melatonin is a hormone that regulates the sleep -wake cycle. It reaches it's peak at midnight, and a delay in the release will lead to an increase in alertness. About your phone, I'm not snooping if that's what you're afraid of."

   "Oh. I get now."

  "You'll try meditation between the period of not watching t.v. or having your phone. Am I clear?"

  "Yes ma'am. But does meditation even work?" I asked.

   "You gotta try it to find out yourself." She answered smiling.

     After my "talk" with Aunt, I was more than happy was as I remembered I haven't called James, after literally forgetting him. I sat on the chair in front of the mirror. I checked if James was online. I texted him to ask if I could. I heard some of my classmates say it was rude to video call someone without permission. They said it's rape.

    "Hi." I waved to the camera.

    "Bawo ni o. O to ojo meta." He giggled.

   I let out a small laugh. Who knew James could speak Yoruba? "Mo wa o. Ta ni o ko e ni Yoruba?"

    "Small small. I don't know that one." He furrowed his brow. "Switch to English."

    "I said who taught you Yoruba?" I said in English.

   "A certain someone." He replied flashing his teeth as if advertising Colgate.

   "See how your room is shining. What's the secret nau?" I ask.

    "It's nothing o, since you forgot this small boy here. How's Lagos?"

    "Lagos is good. I finally spoke with someone."

    "Oh cool. Do you mind tell me how it went?"

    "Ok. So I talked with my Aunt..." I trailed off when I saw a female silhouette, in his room. James' mom isn't this slim, he has brothers, his cousins are in Australia. Or did his mom give birth and the girl grew within two weeks? Crazy right?

    "Who's the lady?" I ask. Just as I asked, the lady turned, and behold, a familiar face.
         I'm dumbstruck

  "Hello Faithe." She waved. "You didn't even ask of me."

    "I'm sorry." I swallowed.

   "Okay later." James quickly said.

   "Wait. James, so we're keeping things from each other now right? It's fine really." I managed to voice out. It's his turn to tell me to wait.

    "Oh Faithe, Simi and I got together two days ago. I just didn't want to bother..." I cut him off.

     "Ara, when I had issues, we talked it out, together as friends. The least I would have done was to help out. Told me about it." I said exhausted. I call his other name whenever I'm angry at him.

      "It's not that. I know you are dealing with a lot of things lately."

    "James, I get it, okay?"

    "So we're good?" He asks.

         "Definitely." I answered.

              *              *             *
   "Tobi, it's 5am already. How did you sleep last night?" She asks as I tried to get up.

   "Pretty much better." I replied.

"Okay that's good. Try to listen to cool  music. Here's your phone. I'll be downstairs." She concluded.

   When I die put my ashes in the trash bag
I don't care where they go
Don't waste your money on my gravestone
I'm more concerned about my soul
Everybody's gon' die
Don't everybody live though
Sometimes I look up to the sky...

      I came downstairs around 9am, after sleeping one hour more.

    "Good morning everyone." I said as I sat on the dinning. "And Tobi is here again. Don't you have a house?" I ask rolling my eyes.

   "Babe, don't lie, you love my fine face." He replied. Everyone laughed including Aunty Yemi. Something makes me think she stayed abroad. Not all African moms can stand that ordinary statement and not do something. Not that they are wicked, they're just protective.

    "Faithe, you're going back in a week and two days right?" Aunt asked.

    "Sadly, yes ma'am." I answered. Tobi's smile fell.

   Everyone started eating. Suddenly, Tobi asked, "Mummy Teni, since Faithe would be going back soon, can she Teni and I go out? Like the cinema or park, on Friday?"

     "Of course. Faithe you have no objection." She finished.

      "I did not consent to this." Teni who has been silent since talked.

      "Please nau." I gave him puppy eyes.

    "Stop that. You look like a frog when you do that. I'll come alright." He rolled his eyes.

      "Thanks Uncle Teni." I blinked rapidly.

Bawo ni- how are you?
O to ojo meta- it's been a while
Mo wa o- I'm fine o
Ta ni o ko e ni Yoruba- who taught you Yoruba?

     900+ words this time and 200+ reads🎊🎉, and I think I did well with the chapter 😄. And Faithe and Tobi have similar names, Faithe's other name is Tobi also.
   The therapy ideas given here should not be used for personal use. For details about melatonin, you can check www.sleepFoundation.org
    Everyone, including ghost readers o, vote and comment 😄
      Till then 😘✌️✌️