Part 4

I woke up this morning quite early. I stared up at the ceiling for a few seconds before sitting up and rubbing my eyes. I lean over to my bedside table and take my medicine. 2 pills every morning, every day, since I was a toddler. I don't fully understand WHY I have to take these but I don't want to risk not taking them. My mother always used to say it was to keep at bay a mental issue that I had that'd make me erratic and misbehave. I suppose they must kind of work like anti-depressants.

I stretch my arms for a moment before scrambling out of bed and checking my phone. 7am. That means have an hour before my introduction seminar. Ecology today. I walk to the bathroom I share with Dahlia and brush my teeth. I pull my hair out of the ratty messy bun I've slept in and watch it as it falls down across my shoulders. It's been 2 weeks since I arrived and Dahlia and I have gotten quite inseparable; I feel like I've known her for years! 

I giggle at myself in the mirror, remembering some silly life-long memories I made during freshers. It was a blast. A particular highlight was watching a drunken Dahlia dropping her burger on the floor and crying-  but now it was time for the real deal to begin. I take a quick shower before getting dressed. I went for casual but smart. Black jeans with a sky-blue button-up blouse. I left a note for Dahlia, who was still dead to the world, and headed out the door. She wont be up for another hour at least.

I sat down in the lecture theatre, slightly nervous. I placed my laptop out and opened a blank word document for notes. The lecture itself wasn't so bad, it was quite captivating and enjoyable. I understood everything the professor was saying and made lots of notes; It was going perfectly! 

That was until these men entered the hall about halfway through the lecture. They were dressed in all black and very much looked out of place here and it was very suspicious. Who the hell are they? They huddled in their pair in the front entrance. I looked to the lecturer but he completely ignored them and continued the presentation. They kept looking at me then whispering... Then looking again...  After a few minutes they started moving towards me. I could feel my heart beating in my throat. Why were they looking at me like that? Are they after me?

I had to get out of here!I subtly scooped up my stuff and quickly left through the back doors of the theatre. I was curious as to whether they would follow me or not, so darted quickly behind the crates next to the exit. Surely, about half a minute later they walked out of the same door and looked around. I was shocked... They WERE after me! The taller one pushed something on his ear and spoke in a deep, mysterious, hushed voice "Sorry, Boss.... We lost her." 

Oh. My. God. What's going on?!

Luckily they went back in through the back doors of the theatre and I managed to sneak away. I can't believe that just happened! The walk back to my room felt longer than usual and I was extremely paranoid... Was I in trouble? Were they going to find me again? Do they know where I'm living? Was the life of crime I had previously led catching up to me? I reached my accommodation building and raced up the stairs, dashing into my room and locking the door behind me, scaring the living daylights out of a freshly-woken Dahlia.

"Y/n? What's going on?" She said worried, toothbrush in hand. 

I slumped onto my bed panting and she sat down on hers opposite. "(y/nickname)?" She questioned. Hearing that nickname she gave me did calm me down a bit. She moved onto my bed and put a supportive hand on my shoulder. "What happened?"

I took a deep breath before turning to face her. 

"I think I might be in trouble, Dahlia..." I replied.