Safe and Sound - Chapter 19

Chapter NINETEEN

"Mom," I began, walking into the kitchen the next morning.

   It was early, barely 7 A.M., and I hadn't slept well. Mom and Rich were at the table, both sipping coffee, like every other Sunday morning that Rich wasn't out of town.

   I dragged my feet towards the fridge and poured some apple juice into a glass.

   "Morning, Cass. Are you feeling better?" she asked, eyeing me carefully.

   "Were you sick? We didn't see you at all yesterday," Rich commented, and I knew my mom hadn't told him anything.

   I glanced at her anyway. "Yeah. I was just not feeling great," I lied, closing the fridge door. "Better today."

   "Good," my mom nodded. "Do you have homework to do today?"

   I nodded. "Yeah. Some."

   "And?" she asked. She knew there was more.

   "Uh... Rowan was going to come to Dallas today... can I go out with him?" I asked, slowly.

   Her expression changed. "Go out?"

   "Like... lunch, maybe?"

   "Cass, the plan was dinner here on Friday. He didn't come-"

   "Mom, please."

   "Cassidy, I don't know if it's really a good idea," she said, shaking her head at me.

   "Why? Why don't you like him now?" I yelled, putting down my glass on the counter.

   Rich sat quietly, pretending to ignore us. He never interfered if we were fighting.

   "I didn't say I didn't like him," mom answered. "But I don't know him. And him driving here to take you out... it seems weird."

   "Weird?" I snapped.

   "Cass, let me think on it, okay?" She smiled, but I was too angry with her to care.

   "Sure, whatever," I finished, and stormed out of the kitchen.

   COME. I texted Rowan an hour later. I didn't even know if he'd be awake yet.

   YOUR MOM SAID ITS OK?

   NOT EXACTLY.

   I DON'T WANT YOUR MOM UPSET WITH ME.

   SHES JUST BEING STUPID. ITS FINE, I told him.

   I WANT HER TO LIKE ME, CASS.

   REALLY?

   YES. BECAUSE I LIKE YOU.

   I was so happy to hear this. JUST COME. PLEASE.

   WILL SHE BE MAD?

   NO. ILL TALK TO HER, I promised.

   OKAY, ILL LEAVE IN A BIT.

   I didn't have much time to convince her, so I hurried back downstairs. She was now reading the newspaper, Rich no where in sight. Her short brown hair was sort of messy, but I smiled when I realized she was doing a crossword puzzle. She had always loved them.

   "I'm sorry. I should have talked to you, on Friday night. Or yesterday," I started.

   She looked up. "I was worried. You've never blocked me out like that."