Safe and Sound - Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Tiffany met me in the hospital lobby.

  Kate and Sonya had dropped me off in Fort Worth without thinking twice. I thanked them and told them I would call them later, but I couldn't get out of Sonya's mom's minivan fast enough. I just needed to see Rowan.

  Tiffany hugged me, which was a bit awkward, but I was just relieved to be there. She looked happy to see me, too.

  "He's on the third floor, recovery," she told me, leading me over to the elevator.

  I didn't know what to say so I just followed her, staying quiet.

  "It was just so scary when we got the call," she went on. "The doctor that called told Robert to hurry and get there, they didn't know if he would make it through the night."

  My heart started pounding, realizing how bad it actually was. Rowan had down played it, of course, so I wouldn't be scared.

  When we finally got to the room, I stepped inside slowly. Rowan was just staring back at me, a surprised look on his face. It felt so strange, like deja vu but the opposite. All those months ago, I was the one in the hospital bed, and he had stepped into my room to see me. Now, I just didn't know what to do.

  "Cass," Rowan finally said, his voice sounding off.

  I walked closer to him, grabbing at his hand as soon as I could. He squeezed it back as tears poured down my face. I glanced over to see his Dad and Tiffany leave the room in silence.

  Rowan sighed. "I'm so sorry I scared you," he told me.

  I shook my head but I couldn't find my voice.

  "Cass, it's okay. I'm here. I'm fine," he spoke again.

  "You're not fine. Tiffany said they didn't know if you'd make it through the night on Monday when you got here. You're hurt," I finally snapped. "Who did this to you?"

  He took a breath. "This guy I used to hang with. Johnny. I saw his face. He must have followed me from the shop, to the gas station. As I was getting out of the truck, he came up behind me..."

  "Rowan, why would he do this?" I asked, taking it in. I was so angry.

  He looked away, at the window. Then he looked back down at his hands. "I don't know. He could have been high. He could have just been angry at me, for leaving their group. But I told the cops today... they got fingerprints off my truck and also video footage from the gas station where it happened. They arrested him."

  I let out a breath I'd been holding in. "So, that's it?"

  "Cass."

  "How do I know you're safe now? What if -"

  "I'm safe and sound. I'll heal, just like you did. I promise," he said, finally smiling.

  "But he attacked you, Rowan. What if he had killed you?" I yelled now, tears coming again.

  "He didn't. Look, I'm okay. And he's in jail," Rowan answered quickly.

  I shook my head, because I just couldn't understand why someone would do this.

  "Cass, I told you... I was in some trouble with Johnny and his group. When I told them I was done with that shit, and I was going to St. Louis, they were mad. All of them," Rowan explained. "It sucks that this happened, but I'm not surprised. They found out I was back, obviously through Ashlyn and-"