°•° three °•°

i open my eyes and see beams of light shining right in my eye. my eyes immediately close again, feeling sharp pain shoot in my head. i rub my eyes and open them once again, and remember it's friday, so i don't have to work.

i sit up in my bed, and stare at the ground, not thinking about anything, not acknowledging my presence, not acknowledging another presence in the room.

i turn to look at my bedroom door to see it already opened. that's when i remember i have a guy in my house.

i gasp and put a hand on my chest to ease the sudden jumpscare.

"sorry," he apologizes. i lightly laugh at my reaction to the cheesy jumpscare.

"nah you're good," i look at my hands in my lap, "what do you want for breakfast?"

it sounds motherly, and i know he's shy, but so am i, this is the only chance i can step up from my anxiety and try to help someone. so i don't mind acting like a mother.

"um," he thinks for a second, "do you have cereal?"

"you want cereal? i can make eggs and bacon, or pancakes..."

"i don't want you to go through the trouble," he quietly says.

"it's fine! do you want eggs and bacon?" i put on a smile, inviting the option. he simply nods, not turning down the offer. "alright! i'll go make that now," i get up and go to the kitchen, him following close behind me.

i start grabbing a pan and turning on the stove, then crack eggs, and sizzle the bacon. as i'm waiting for a piece of bacon to flip, i turn towards the table where nick sits.

"do you know how to cook?" i try to make conversation.

"uh, i know how to microwave things," he bluntly says. i smile.

"i bet you could learn," i hear a piece of bacon sizzle. "do you have a job?" i flip the bacon and return to leaning on the counter.

"i did," he says slowly. he quit his job, because he didn't think he'd go back. i nod my head and ask more questions, wanting them to lead up the topic that has been on my mind the whole time.

"do you have a place to stay at?"

"yea,"

"well, hate to burst your bubble but it might be a little bit before you leave." he looks at me, and that's when i realize what i've just said, "i mean- like i have to make sure you're alright before you leave! not the way you were thinking-" i use hand motions to support my wording. "just a day or so-"

he's still looking at me the same way, and that's when i regretted saying anything, i made it sound like i had kidnapped him. but then he smiles, and it's nice. i hadn't seen him smile yet. and his smile isn't a fake one, it's a smile someone would use if a friend had told you a dumb joke.

i smile from embarrassment and feel my cheeks start to get warm. i check on the eggs to help me avoid making eye contact. i see the eggs are almost done, and take them off the burner, knowing they will still cook if on the pan.

i grab two plates and split the eggs in half so we have an even amount of food. although i give him a little more, i don't know the last time he's eaten.

i flip the last pieces of bacon that screamed at me to flip it, and waited for them to get crispy.

"so," i hesitate, knowing it might be a sensitive subject, "is there anyone i should call..." i turn to him.

"no," he doesn't hesitate, but he's not quick to say either.

"no?" i ask. he shakes his head. "not your mom... or any friends?" he once again shakes his head. i look down, realizing he might not have any friends, or he doesn't live near his parants. "uh, does your head hurt?" i quickly change the subject.

"a little." i nod, understanding that he's not in too much pain.

"if it starts to really hurt let me know alright?" he nods.

we stay silent as i take the bacon off the pan and ready our plates. i season it with salt and pepper and set his plate down in front of him, along with some water. we eat in silence, occasionally taking sips of our water.

"thank you," nick suddenly says.

"anytime, it's not hard to cook," i smile.

"not just the food," he doesn't let me catch his eye. i realize what he means, and i'm at lost for words.

"oh, yea, of course," i look at my half filled plate of food. the atmosphere is silent. "do you wanna stop by your house today, to get clothes and other things," i break the silence. he nods his head, trying to keep his food inside his mouth.

a couple minutes of silence pass as we eat our food. he finishes first and sets his fork down. he puts his hands on the table, but suddenly winces and retreats. i look at him with confusion, and he rolls up his hoodie sleeve and looks at his arm. a dark purple and green bruise is visible on his under arm.

my eyes widen and i choke on my food. i didn't see that before. as soon as he looks at it, he immediately looks away. that was my fault.

"sorry, that's my fault." i look at his now covered up arm from his hoodie.

"no, don't worry about it." he tries to smile.

i finish eating and take our plates to the sink, the curiosity of nick's past lingering in my head.