°•° twelve °•°

~warning~

gore

*♡*♡*♡*

"why didn't you get a muffin?" i ask surprised.

"they didn't look good," he says, taking a bite out of his brownie we got from the bakery we went to.

"you can just tell they aren't good from looking at them?" i lightly laugh.

"it's like a sixth sense," he smiles. i lightly laugh again, before hearing a snap behind us.

i quickly look behind us to the forest that probably has spiders, ants, beetles, and cockroaches roaming all through it.

"that forest gives me the creeps," i mumble turning to darryl on the bench we've sat ourselves at.

"eh, i'm sure it's nothing." he tries to reassure me, but it only helps the slightest. i take a breath, still paranoid.

we sit in silence for a couple seconds, eating our dessert. i soon get a text from george, saying he wants to come with us because everyone else is making fun of him for getting scared by a spider.

after telling darryl this, and laughing a little, i told him he was welcome to come over and join us. i told him our location, and waited for him to arrive.

to kill time, i talked to darryl, telling him baby stories my mom has told me. and in return he told me stories.

while we were laughing at one of his stories, i whipped around hearing another snap from the forest.

"that's either a big ass beetle that weighs the size of a lion or we're about to get kidnapped." i say, getting paranoid, but try to ease it with some humor.

"language!" his head snaps at me.

"sorry!" i quickly laugh at his innocents.

"y/nnn you ragga muffin" he shakes his head with a smile. i slightly laugh.

"hey-" i hear a familiar accent, but it gets over powered by a loud bang.

i cover my ears from the sudden loudness, and i shut my eyes. once the ringing stops, i open my eyes to see george staring at something behind me, in horror.

i look behind me, and the scene in front of me, is unbearable.

"darryl?!" i watch him fall to the floor, blood soaking his shirt. i quickly kneel down to him, seeing his eyes wide open, in shock.

i look into the forest.

the hooded figure.

holding a gun.

my eyes widen, fear sprouting through me, that i'm going to be the next one that's shot.

i suddenly hear george talking, and i look over to him, as i hold darryl. i realize george is calling the police, and i believe the shooter did too, because they quickly bolted.

my eyes stay wide open, fear, shock, and worry mixing up in my body. i look at darryl once again, hearing his breathing unsteady.

i then see his eyes drift off from mine, and i worry he's gonna pass out. but what happens next is worse than him passing out.

i start to hear him choke. choke on blood. and before i can react, blood spews out of his mouth. i lose my breathing cycle, and look away, feeling the need to throw up.

i look back at him, his eyes are dull. he has blood almost covering every inch of his body. and he's throwing up blood.

i hear george run up to us, calling for darryl, not wanting him to leave us.

i'm surprised george even has the strength to talk right now. all i can do is watch him slowly suffer. i can't do anything. why can't i do anything? what am i doing? i'm watching my friend die right in front of me. how much time left? when will the ambulance come? why is this happening? why to darryl?

why not me? i was inches away from him, why did the bullet go to him? he never did anything, he was just living his life, helping others live their's happily.

why him?

i think george called everyone else too, because i see a herd rushing towards us. i soon feel hands grab me, and when i see nick, his eyes are full of terror.

i don't realize i'm crying until nick does. i finally get my voice back, and call out to darryl. everyone's calling out to darryl. fearing he'll fall asleep, and not open his eyes again.

stay safe. nick's exact words before we left. i feel another pressure running through my chest as the thought enters my head. stay safe. stay safe. stay safe.