Chapter 17

"Where are you going going to spend New Years Eve?" Nicki asked. She, Drake and their friends were at Starbucks on this surprisingly sunny Saturday. New Year's Eve was just four days from now and no one has mentioned their plans for it. Most of them were going to stay in Queens.

"We should do something big together."

"Yeah. Like go to the club." A few agree, a few denied.

"How about a house party?"

"That would be cool. But who's parents are cool enough to let them throw a New Year's Eve party?"

"Mine." Safaree put his hand up in the air and everybody looked at him.

"I think that could work. Last party he threw was the bomb!"

"That settles. Safaree, were going to be at yours on New Years."

"Fine with me." Safaree said.

"And what bout the drinks, snacks, music and stuff?"

"We can contribute for the drinks then have someone to buy them." Drake said.

"Candi and I can take care of the snacks." Lauren said.

"Me and Nicki can take care of the decoration and glowy sticks." Thembi said.

"And I'll see if my brother knows a good DJ that'll be available on the 31st."

"That's it, we have a party!" And everyone cheered as they toasted for the party of the year.

•••

Nicki walked up to Safaree's front porch and knocked the door. She waited for about three minutes and still no answer. She figured everyone was at the back so she made her way there. She was amused by the sight of Safaree setting a TV there.

"What did you put your TV out here?" She asked.

"Girl, this is New York. It's not New Year without the ball drop."

"Ah, I forgot about the ball. How much time's left?"

Safaree checked his watch. "About 3 hours and 34 minutes."

"Okay. Where are the girls?"

"Probably in the kitchen." Nicki nodded and went to the kitchen. the air was filled with laughter and the smell of delicious snacks.

"Hey guys."

"Hey Nicki." everyone said back.

"Am I late? Did I miss something?"

"Nah, you're Justin time. lets go organise the place." Thembi said. Nicki turned around to go and leave her purse in the living room then she saw an empty bottle on the table.

"Rika! Are you drinking?" She asked.

"It's just a Martini girl, relax. You should get one too."

"I guess a glass wouldn't hurt anybody."

"That's the spirit." They both laughed. Nicki grabbed a glass from the cabinet and few ice cubes then poured the vermouth in and starts helping with the remaining snacks in he kitchen while drinking.

•••

It was 11 and something and the house was packed. Everybody who was anybody was there. From school friends, to neighbours and even a few relatives. Drinks and music all over, waiting for the time. Some were tipsy, some were drunk and the sobers ones could be counted with fingers. And one of them would be Drake, who has been quite quiet all night.

Something has been bugging him lately. It was his feelings. Don't get him wrong, they were all defined. He just needed to poured them straight away. The new year had to start fresh with no regrets nor pending matters.