A Marine's Confession

#3554+words Edited 16/03/2024

Hope you like it!!! Vote/Comment ~ Jayne

*********************************************************

Nate's POV

I sighed as I stepped out of the airport, nothing's really changed its still the same town I left 10 years ago though I don't think it was meant to change, I grabbed my bag and made my way to one of the cabs waiting outside and got inside, I told him the address before looking out of the window and watching the town I use to love pass by even after all these years my childhood memories are still fresh in my head, a lot of things happened in this town some good and some not so good, but I do have some memories that I don't like remembering, perhaps that is why I've never bothered returning to the place

My dad died when I was 14 years old, he wasn't a good man to either my mother or me but my mother would never leave him I think she was hoping he would change but he never did or maybe she was scared of him.....when I started senior year my mother told me she was getting married again to a very nice man who also had a son my age and then announced that they were coming over for dinner so I could meet them, yep my mother had been going out with a guy for a year and I hadn't even met him...oh the joy (note the sarcasm) at first I was angry with her for not even telling me and that I thought we stopped hiding things from each other years ago, we actually didn't speak for the rest of the day or even during the meal either, I just couldn't believe that she didn't tell me, don't get me wrong I knew as my mother she didn't need to explain herself to me, but we made a deal after my real father had died that we wouldn't keep secrets and then she tells me this

When they arrived I realised who it was Dylan O'Connor the most popular guy in my school also the quarterback on the football team, that was also the night our parents told us that they were getting married within a few short months, I couldn't handle the fact that my mother had said nothing to me about it, so I left the table and went out drinking, I didn't want another 'dad' it was bad enough with the first one I had, but in the end they still married though my relationship with my mother never truly got better after it, Dylan and I had to get use to sharing a house but apart from his best friend and my best friend no one else knew and that was because I wanted it that way, I think he first tried to speak to me about the whole thing and why others couldn't know but why should others know, neither of us wanted our parents to marry each other, through out that year we didn't interact much with each other and it only got worse when I started fucking his best friend.....

I was brought out of my thoughts by the cab coming to a complete stop, I looked out the window and stared at the once familiar house, I only lived in this house for that last year and even those memories are still very vivid in my mind, I slowly got out the cab and walked to the back to get my bag but the driver was already there "here we are sir" he said while getting my bags from the trunk before I could leave he continued "welcome home marine" I just watched has he drove away.

That's right I'm a marine Staff Sgt Nate Costello, I never took my mums married name I kept with my fathers name, I couldn't change it even if I hated my real father I wanted to make the name Costello mean something other than a bastard man who didn't deserve to have a wife or son, I moved towards the house and rang the door bell and after a few minutes it was opened by my mother who gasped in shock "Nate" she swallowed with tears running down her cheek "is that you baby" she whispered softly, I nodded slowly "I heard pops was sick so I came to visit, is he still in the hospital" I asked slowly, our relationship never got better after she remarried, the lies she told me before telling me that she was getting remarried was something I couldn't handle from her, I told her that she was the one who broke our promise and nothing could ever change that now, she shook her head "no he wouldn't stay there, so he's staying here" she moved aside so I could walk in "Alina who is at the door" I heard a sickly voice I placed my bag by the door before walking in the direction it came from I also heard more voices as well.