twenty three

Chapter Twenty Three:
When Decisions Are Made

---

IT TOOK A WHILE BEFORE SHOTA TOLD THE SCHOOL BOARD ABOUT THE REAL REASON YOU, HIS DAUGHTER, DISAPPEARED. Because of this, Shota was put in temporary probation away from the school to protect your mental health and sanity while you were in school. The idea was suggested by Yshi as she is the school's guidance counselor. Nonetheless, the word got around the school quickly and the juniors easily took pity on you--one of which, you did not take lightly. You hated being pitied on especially when you know that it wasn't something they should be concerned about.

At home, things were starting to come to light, sort of. Your mother had been trying to warm up to the place but she always seems to have a slight panic mode whenever she sees Shota. This morning, however, it was the first time you've seen your mother at her calmest when faced with your father despite her awkwardly shaking figure. The two shared a short conversation for a while before Shota had to go to work. Shota, in his probation, spent more time with Eri and even began to be impressed by the small artworks Eri makes once in a while. One time, when you got home from school, your father was covered in paint and so was your little sister. They had spent the whole day trying to paint a sunset for Naomi.

Maybe Shota's probation wasn't so bad after all.

The only problem he was having and the only problem he needed to resolve was how he would be able to talk to you again without tumbling over what he has built with Naomi and Eri. You were also trying not to get in the way of him trying to gain their trust again and somehow, your heart even felt lighter seeing him work his way back into the family. But the conflicting feeling of opening your doors or keeping them closed kept you at bay and your naturally caring personality made it harder not to at least leave a small portion open.

Walking down the school corridors, your thoughts were interrupted when you walked by the student council room where Hitoshi and a few other members were having their meeting. You were still asked not to take over yet as the school would not want to add up to the stress that you already have right now. The lilac haired male was talking up front, suggesting ideas and writing them down on the whiteboard behind him. He looked serious and he looked like he knew what he was doing. Well, Hitoshi did say he learned from the best. For a moment, he caught a glimpse of you outside the window and he smiled. When both your eyes met, you felt your heart flutter at his small smile before he went back to his own business.

That's when it hit you.

Hurriedly walking past lots of students and walking down a slightly empty hallway, you opened the door to an office that seemed almost familiar to you. The cold air and the subtle tinge of blue in the lights made you flinch and your eyes squint, adjusting to the light. "I didn't expect you to come around here, (your name)," you looked down as you bit your lower lip. "Ms. Yshi, I need a but of counseling..."

"Just a bit?"

"Okay, maybe a lot. I just, I still feel conflicted about lots of things," you started as you sat down in front of the dark haired woman who somehow just gave you that same warm welcoming smile. "Well, why don't we start with one?" She suggested as she chuckled, the rich sound of her voice echoing through the room. "I can see dad's improvements with mom and Eri. It makes me happy yet I can see the regret swimming in his eyes whenever we look at one another and that somehow makes me feel off?" Yshi hummed, ushering you to go on. "I want to be able to fix things with him but a part of me tells me that I have proved enough and it should be his turn to at least try to do something. Just like how he's with Eri and mom..."

The female laughed while she played with a pen. "You know, you really are like your father," she smiled which made you tilt your head. "And not just by looks. The two of you share the same train of thoughts--in some things."