Chapter 17 - Internships; Running to the Future

Izuku woke up, groggily and still shrouded by sleep. He rolled out of the bed and went into the en suite, splashing water on his face and doing his best to wake up quickly. He did not want to be woken up by whatever method Hawks thought was best (it would probably involve some incredibly spiky feathers and a very, very large bucket of ice water). Unfortunately for Tokoyami, he failed to wake up in time. And Izuku's theory was soon to be proved correct.

Izuku and a mildly annoyed Tokoyami made their way to the lobby, where Hawks had already picked up a light breakfast for the two of them. "So," Hawks started as the two ate the food, "We're going to start with a brief patrol around the city until we make it to a track. It isn't well kept at all, and the only reason it's still around is because I, along with several other heroes, use it as training grounds for speed."
"S-so we're doing speed today?" Izuku asked.
"Precisely kiddo! So that's why we're eating light, we don't want anyone throwing up. Now hurry up, you have 10 minutes to finish eating and be down in the lobby or you'll need to catch up."

Both Tokoyami and Izuku quickly finished eating and collected their hero costumes, and each went to their respective rooms in order to get changed. Each then quickly made their way down to the lobby where Hawks was waiting for them. "Alright, 2 minutes to spare, good time, let's go!" He said, leading the two out to the patrol. They were instructed to follow the same rules as yesterday, no engaging in combat unless it was to save a life, quirks were free to use so long as it was to either keep up, when specifically instructed to do so or to save a life.

The patrol was shorter, and there was no major event to note. Hawks stopped a few petty thieves, but neither boy arrived in time to help with any of those instances.

By the time the patrol was over, Hawks was barely breaking a sweat whilst the two U.A interns were quickly running out of breath. Hawks slowed down and led the two in the direction of the track, whilst giving a general lecture on how to interact with other people, namely excited fans and the public in general (something both Izuku and Tokoyami could definitely work on). Speaking of the two U.A students, they were trying their best to regain some breath before completely losing it again in whatever hellish training Hawks had devised for them. And hellish, it was.

The two boys were both hunched over, and they had only finished the "warm-up" segment of the speed training. They had to complete 5 laps of the track, which was hard enough on it's own. However, their motivation to maintain a certain pace was Hawks' feathers. And Hawks' feathers are fast. Like, stupid fast. In other words, both boys were exhausted, pricked in many different locations and were only done with the warm-up. The warm-up. Hawks laughed nervously a little bit, whilst the two boys were recovering. "Okay... well to be quite honest, I am impressed that you were both able to make it all the way, although Tokoyami your speed and stamina is markedly less than Izuku's. But that's okay! It's understandable considering the vast differences in your quirks, so you two will do different things from now on." Hawks finished, as the two boys started feeling far better.

"Izuku, I want you to fully charge your quirk as you do currently, and run the lap as fast as you can." Hawks told the green-haired boy. Izuku, in response, nodded whilst slightly panicking. Hawks had become a great mentor over the past day, teaching Izuku so much in so little time, and Izuku wanted to be a student Hawks could be happy with. 

Hawks nodded towards the track as he noticed Izuku's signature green sparks begin taking off, and so Izuku made his way to the starting line of the race track. Feeling the lightning pulse through his muscles, Izuku braced himself as he listened to Hawks' countdown. "...2, 1, GO!"

With Hawks' calll, Izuku started running, his quirk flowing through his muscles. He neared the first bend, taking the turn as smoothly as possible, thankfully not completely wiping out as he stumbled slightly. He felt a little lighter compared to how he normally felt when going full pace with his quirk, but still the slight heaviness, as per usual. As he neared the end of the track, he could feel the consistent stream of his quirk beginning to take its toll on his body. Like if he were talking without breathing, he could feel his presently stored energy running out, slowing steadily.