prologue.

PROLOGUE

 From which stars have we fallen to meet each other here?  

12 ABY

GATALENTA

WORD IN THE GALAXY was that the most beautiful planet after Alderaan was Gatalenta, with its multiple suns rising in a sky of cerulean blues and silky lilacs and the fresh, soft scent of spring tumbling from the leaves of almond and cherry trees in bloom. But Cali'pso Navu, with only nine years of life and with eyes as big and as innocent as those of any other child, knew the truth. Like all beautiful things, Gatalenta hid its deceits and treacheries behind a mask of grace and splendor, the same way the sky covers its darkness with the stars.

Cali'pso could have lived her whole life oblivious to these hideous truths entrenched in beautiful lies, had she not been one of the unfavored people that was forced to be confronted with them.

Sure, Gatalenta had a fair government under the rule of the Council of Mothers, which, among many other great things, had managed to ban slavery from the planet, but there were still inequalities and injustices happening there like in any other place of the galaxy, despite the democracy the New Republic had so arduously installed and fought for.

Cali'pso's family was among those that teetered on the wrong side of the balance; while she watched the castle from afar, its magnificent walls shimmering with the honeyed beams of the rising suns, her parents struggled to put even the simplest of breads on the table. That's why she had, at such a tender age, taken upon herself to make their lives easier and start hunting for food herself.

And that meant infiltrating herself in the most guarded place in the planet, Gatalenta's palace itself. That's where she was now, using the long shadows of the halls as a cover for her presence. Sneaking inside the castle hadn't proven to be as difficult as she had thought, given she had hidden herself in one of the large crates that carried goods to the castle. No, what would be difficult was to leave. But like always, Cali'pso's young, impetuous spirit shoved that thought into the back of her mind, deciding she would deal with such thing later. Always later.

So, as soon as she saw she was alone, she jumped out of the crate and ran into the nearest pantry, unaware of how she knew exactly which direction to take. Sometimes she was just dragged into things without much thinking, and Cali'pso had gotten used to go with it instead of questioning it. Her parents called it a strong instinct, but sometimes, in the rare moments her mind was free enough to ponder, she wondered if it wasn't something more.

There was a man outside the pantry, dressed in an imposing armor that screamed 'you better not dare come inside or even speak to me', which of course made Cali'pso do just that.